Tiller Does everyone use shear bolt or slip clutch drive shafts with their rototillers?

/ Does everyone use shear bolt or slip clutch drive shafts with their rototillers? #1  

dfkrug

Tractor
05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe, XN08 mini-X
I am fixing up some JD 550 3-point rototillers and I need to buy new
drive shafts. I notice that lots of units out there do not use shear
bolt or slip clutch protection.

I don't do any rototilling with my tractor. Those who do: do you
use protection? If not, what happens when you pinch rocks?

/ Does everyone use shear bolt or slip clutch drive shafts with their rototillers? #2  
I am fixing up some JD 550 3-point rototillers and I need to buy new
drive shafts. I notice that lots of units out there do not use shear
bolt or slip clutch protection.

I don't do any rototilling with my tractor. Those who do: do you
use protection? If not, what happens when you pinch rocks?
I use a slip clutch on my KK72". I loosen and slip it each spring to make sure it will slip when needed. I do that on my rotary cutter as well.:thumbsup:

/ Does everyone use shear bolt or slip clutch drive shafts with their rototillers? #3  
I've never seen a good brand without a slipclutch ?

/ Does everyone use shear bolt or slip clutch drive shafts with their rototillers? #4  
Yup. Either go with a slip clutch, or build a small metal box on the tiller to hold a few dozen shear bolts.

//greg//

/ Does everyone use shear bolt or slip clutch drive shafts with their rototillers? #5  
I think a slip clutch saves both the implement and the tractor.

/ Does everyone use shear bolt or slip clutch drive shafts with their rototillers? #6  
Everything I read on hear said go with a slip clutch so that's what I did and have been happy I did.

/ Does everyone use shear bolt or slip clutch drive shafts with their rototillers?
I think a slip clutch saves both the implement and the tractor.

That's the idea, of course. I am surprised to see setups with neither
clutch nor shear bolts. I have heard in at least one case that a user's
tractor just stalls when he pinches a rock. These tillers are tough, but
the carcasses do get torn up a bit.

/ Does everyone use shear bolt or slip clutch drive shafts with their rototillers? #8  
That's the idea, of course. I am surprised to see setups with neither
clutch nor shear bolts. I have heard in at least one case that a user's
tractor just stalls when he pinches a rock. These tillers are tough, but
the carcasses do get torn up a bit.

Yep, I've got a slip clutch on my KingKutter 5ft tiller. It's adjusted too tight and I did stall the tractor once when I hit a stump. It's kind of nice to have tight because it just breaks up anything it hits, but I know it's not good for the tractor and I need to adjust it correctly.

/ Does everyone use shear bolt or slip clutch drive shafts with their rototillers?
Yep, I've got a slip clutch on my KingKutter 5ft tiller. It's adjusted too tight and I did stall the tractor once when I hit a stump. It's kind of nice to have tight because it just breaks up anything it hits, but I know it's not good for the tractor and I need to adjust it correctly.

You stalled a 3710?! Were you in LOW range?

/ Does everyone use shear bolt or slip clutch drive shafts with their rototillers? #10  
You stalled a 3710?! Were you in LOW range?

Yep, sure did. I can't remember whether I was in low or mid. Probably low. I was tilling some ground in a previously wooded area to prep for grass. There were occasional small sapling stumps. Most of the time it would just chop them up or jump around enough to give me time to lift the 3pt, but this one caught it just right and stalled at 2500 rpm before I could even react. Yeah, not the best for the tractor :)