Does branson hydraulic fluid hold water like case hydtrans or does it settle out

/ Does branson hydraulic fluid hold water like case hydtrans or does it settle out #1  

bigrich954rr

Bronze Member
Tractor
branson 4720h 6ft brush hog ,post hole digger, ripper, pallet forks,
Does the Branson hydraulic fluid hold water or does it settle out ?

/ Does branson hydraulic fluid hold water like case hydtrans or does it settle out #2  
Mine has always turned milky colored on various tractors and equipment.
The Branson factory fill I believe is a Texaco product.
For it to drop out of any of them has taken several days of none use,
once it has been mixed in.

/ Does branson hydraulic fluid hold water like case hydtrans or does it settle out #3  
Mine has always turned milky colored on various tractors and equipment.
The Branson factory fill I believe is a Texaco product.
For it to drop out of any of them has taken several days of none use,
once it has been mixed in.

My 6530 list has Texaco and Chevron and one lists the number 400 and the other just THD fluid...don't remember which had which. Looking at both on the www, don't see anything special about them other than they are premium THD fluids like others produce, for modern day tractors vs old school trans-hydraulic fluid....guess it's the additive package to keep wet brakes from squeaking and clutch packs (like electric PTOs) and assist in keeping hydrostatic whine to a minimum.

On my old tractors I have seen water homogenized ( water incorporated into the oil, in suspension) causing a yellowing of the oil. I had a clear tub of old crankcase oil that had been sitting for maybe 10 years, don't know when it happened, but 95% of the sludge had settled to the bottom and the oil was almost as clear as new oil. Since gravity is involved and water and oil have different specific weights, but not that far apart, would speculate that water would take a very long time to settle out if homogenized. But if newly acquired, would expect it to be the first thing out if you pulled the drain plug.

/ Does branson hydraulic fluid hold water like case hydtrans or does it settle out #4  
Once on my old Ferguson had a broken gear shift boot going into a wet winter and the tranny's hydraulic fluid got full of water and turned all milky. I drained the fluid out, put it in a metal pail (took several batches) and set it on top of my wood stove in my shop. The water separated quite quickly. Probably not the best practice in the world, but that fluid was put back in the transmission, and it has been working fine for the last 10 or more years.