Does anyone use a T series for moving brush and logs?

/ Does anyone use a T series for moving brush and logs? #1  

flyinghigh

Silver Member
Tractor
century
I am a little bit concerned about the low implement pump capacity (7.7 gal per minute) of the T series vs the 9.9 of the 20 series.

Our primary goal is to get my 81 year old father with health issues in a comfortable cab for doing brush in the summer and using a berco self powered snow blower in the winter.

Will the T494 work well for that or do we need to be looking at a 4820? All the T series have the same hydro pump and floor mounted loader lever vs the console loader lever of the 20 series (and our current branson 3045)

/ Does anyone use a T series for moving brush and logs? #2  
I am not sure the flow will make much difference. The 20 series may be a little faster moving cylinders but that might be a bad thing for your father.

More importantly for me would be what is more comfortable for him. I would take him to test both and see what he prefers. Especially getting in and out. One may be easier than the other.

/ Does anyone use a T series for moving brush and logs? #3  
I am not sure the flow will make much difference. The 20 series may be a little faster moving cylinders but that might be a bad thing for your father.

More importantly for me would be what is more comfortable for him. I would take him to test both and see what he prefers. Especially getting in and out. One may be easier than the other.
This. Have him sit in the tractors you're considering so he can get a feel for it, for the space, for the controls. How easy/hard it is to climb in and out. Simplicity of use, as in, not many electronic gadgets that he needs to remember what button to press and so on.

/ Does anyone use a T series for moving brush and logs?
Well that brings up another interesting point. While I've got half a dozen dealers within 100 miles of me that have t494s. There is only one dealer 250 Mi away that has the leftover 2022 Branson. Makes me wonder if they're not going to keep making the 4820
Or if it's just going to go away.

/ Does anyone use a T series for moving brush and logs? #5  
One never knows but I would doubt it goes away. Take a road trip and see what he thinks. I took my dad along for some of my work trips before he passed and am so glad I did. I often think of those times. It worked out that we got to go to the half of century farm show in Rantoul IL during one of those trips. Had a blast.

The 20 series is a solid selling tractor so I would think it is safe.

/ Does anyone use a T series for moving brush and logs? #6  
My Branson 3725 (basically a 20 series) has -6 (3/8") hoses on the loader which I suspect reduce flow a little. It's not slow at all! It's plenty fast enough for me. I think 80% of the flow would work fine, especially if you operate around pto rpm.

/ Does anyone use a T series for moving brush and logs? #7  
Also, something to consider, both machines are popular models and that makes it all the more likely parts will be available for a good while to come.

/ Does anyone use a T series for moving brush and logs? #8  
Also, something to consider, both machines are popular models and that makes it all the more likely parts will be available for a good while to come.
They share an engine, too.

The cycle times are on the TYM website. The 4820 (BL200 loader) is faster, the T494 (T57 loader) is stronger. The 494 has bigger cylinders and a few inches more lift height, it also has more digging depth and breakout and curl force.

So, it really comes down to which features are more important to you. Both are great tractors. My dealer has a bunch of 4820 and 5520 machines in stock. (Or did last week). They ship everywhere.

/ Does anyone use a T series for moving brush and logs?
I need to correct some of the stats I started this thread with based on the new manuals I downloaded that were updated in Jan 2023 vs the brochures and websites.

For the T494
IMPLEMENT PUMP CAPACITY gpm (ℓ/min) 9.5 (36.1) STEERING PUMP CAPACITY gpm (ℓ/min) 5.0 (19.0) MAX. TOTAL FLOW gpm (ℓ/min) 14.5 (55.1)

For the 4820

Total Hydraulic Flow (POWER STEERING+Implement) gpm/ lpm 13.7 (4.4+9.3)

important to note that stats in this area (and others) ARE DIFFERENT depending on if you are looking at cab, hydro or cab + hydro.

For instance the 4820 in the ROPS non HST version has more flow and is pretty close to the hydro cab 494

14.3 (4.4+9.9) )

Last edited:
   / Does anyone use a T series for moving brush and logs? #10  
I need to correct some of the stats I started this thread with based on the new manuals I downloaded that were updated in Jan 2023 vs the brochures and websites.

For the T494
IMPLEMENT PUMP CAPACITY gpm (ℓ/min) 9.5 (36.1) STEERING PUMP CAPACITY gpm (ℓ/min) 5.0 (19.0) MAX. TOTAL FLOW gpm (ℓ/min) 14.5 (55.1)

For the 4820

Total Hydraulic Flow (POWER STEERING+Implement) gpm/ lpm 13.7 (4.4+9.3)

important to note that stats in this area (and others) ARE DIFFERENT depending on if you are looking at cab, hydro or cab + hydro.

For instance the 4820 in the ROPS non HST version has more flow and is pretty close to the hydro cab 494

14.3 (4.4+9.9) )
That's more of a typo than anything else. Both 4820H (HST) and 4820R (16x16 shuttle) use the same hydraulic pumps, a 7.2 CC and 16 CC if I remember correctly. The HST just uses the steering pump as charge pump to feed the HST.