Does anyone have "zero turn regret"?

/ Does anyone have "zero turn regret"? #71  
Everyone always talks about the speed of a zeroturn. There is no reason a traditional tractor style couldn't be as fast or faster if designed for it, but the high end market wants a zeroturn. The reason the pros want them is they are manuverable enough for small jobs and fast enough for big jobs. Most large lawn residential types don't need the extreme manuverability. They just like the speed. I figure I have less than 20 mows on my lawn tractor before handing those duties off to the kids, so the cost penalty mmade it not worth even considering a ZTR.

Several years ago I replaced our old riding mower with a 30 hp new holland tractor (SS/HST) and a 60 inch grooming mower and I'm well pleased with it.

A few weeks ago I came across a good deal on a 2 year old Exmark zero turn commercial mower with a 60 inch deck, so now we have both.

In the larger open areas, they are about equal to me, but were the zero turn has the advantage is in the smaller areas and cutting up close to fences or around other things. Even with the SS, the tractor is not as maneuverable in tight places.

Now, one thing I do like better about the tractor is that you are setting up higher and forward of all the dust. On the zero turn, you are right in the middle of it.

/ Does anyone have "zero turn regret"? #72  
I just sold my JD2305 do it all machine and purchased a little bit larger tractor and a Z930a zero turn. I went from a JD 425 aws garden tractor to a Kubota BX with 60" deck to a JD2305 with a 62" deck. I will say after using a small tractor to mow with all these years I do miss the feel of mowing with a tractor. It's odd because it's all between my ears. The zero turn mows my grass far better, faster, and is just a monster at cutting grass. All that said I still miss mowing my grass with a tractor (albeit a little garden or scut). It makes no sense, guess I'm just a creature of habit lol. While I miss the feel of the tractor I've got way too much invested now so I'm just going to have to get used to the zero.

/ Does anyone have "zero turn regret"? #73  
I bought a used Craftsman ZT7500 a few years back. It had a 26 HP Briggs and a 50" deck. Cut my mowing time in half or better. Beat me to death and covered me in dust and dirt. Wife could not and would not operate it. She hasn't helped with grass cutting for 20 years so that didn't concern me much.

I have aquired more property and have more grass to mow so I sold the zero turn this year and used that money to buy a 6' Ag Mate finish mower from Agri Supply. Walked out $20 to the good and I am pleased as punch.

I also got my old lawn tractor back from my daughter. I gave it to her in good running condition when I bought the zero turn. She used it in her yard and pasture till the blades were worn out and one of the tires went flat and parked it under her shed. She moved on to her F-I-Ls snapper. I gave it a good service and new blades. Wife got on the lawn tractor yesterday and cut part of the back yard while I mowed about 7 acres with the finish mower. She was all smiles and felt like she contributed so every one was happy in paradise.

/ Does anyone have "zero turn regret"? #74  
FWIW,

I have about 2 acres of finished lawn and ten + acres of lumpy and very hilly fields - quite a few trees and some rocks (but not too bad); usually I mow the 2 acres with a push mower (no laughing please) and the fields with a Kubota M5040 and 6 ft brushhog (at 2+/- mph.).. as you can guess the 2 acres takes a couple of hrs (but is good exercise) and the 10+ acres takes a couple of a days and is SLOW but good results (especially with sharp blades).

I recently tried both an Exmark zero turn --- 20+hp EFI gas power model (sorry, can't remember the model#) with a 60" deck -- it was really good -- and very fast - mowed everything in under a day. I loved it (even though the deck had a weld defect and "blew up" on me).

I also tried a Kubota ZD1211 (diesel) zero turn with a 60" deck. It was phenomenal. I bought it -- not the cheapest thing in the world but absolutely amazing - I've mowed lawns for 45+ years and have never seen anything like it..... plus it's orange so I can hide it among my other Kubota toys.

Happy to say more about either zero turns -

/ Does anyone have "zero turn regret"? #75  
Saw Scags on about every pro landscape trailer back in 2009. Knew really nothing about ZTs, but wanted one, I thought, and my vacation lawn guy had his up for sale. Paid $8K for a 220 hour Scag Wildcat with 12 bushel 3 bag, bagger and 26HP water cooled Kawasaki. Manual said it can do 27 acres/day, all day long!
Used it for last 6 years of 8 years total ownership. Let it sit for the last two years until I sold it last week at 354 hours. Not much seat time over six years of use. Three different times I recall it bolted for the nearest tree at rocket speed while I cringed and grabbed the lap bars and pulled back while the turf tires spun like a chariot on fire! NOT fun, and remember these things have NO brakes! If it decides to bolt, you'd better have upped your life insurance recently.... Bagger was a pain in the shorts too- constantly jamming at the blower with even the slightest damp grass.

Parked it and bought a Husky 322T AWD rider with Combi 103 mulching deck and steering wheel. Tuff-Torq front transaxle came with a palm sized glob of white silicone jammed into the axle shaft area from the factory - leaked like a sieve! Dealer replaced it with a new one; transaxle, not mower. This one seems to be leaking intermittently now with just 100+ machine hours. Only 70 or so hours on new transaxle....

Seat frame held to mower frame by two welded to frame captive nuts and shoulder bolts that keep backing out. Added Nylock nuts and they are also coming loose.:confused2: Just yesterday drilled out new Nylocks and through the shoulder bolts and pinned the assembly with wire- just like on a jetliner!:confused3:
Time will tell. Meantime wife can use it; she loves it, but doesn't have to do the maintenance on it....

Next I decided to look for something, this time doing more research than just looking at what was passing by on the road, and found a surprising outcome. I went to look at Walker mowers hoping to be able to tame my slopes and hills, etc. Found a Cub Cadet Pro Z 160 S with 23.5 HP Kawasaki, and 4 wheel steering. It has turf tires on the front wheels, which turn via steering wheel control. It has a foot brake control, and CRUISE control, which is great to relieve my bum right knee when doing lots of mow time. It is an AMAZING hill and slope tamer/climber!:thumbsup: It can be equipped with either lap bars OR steering wheel, but the two dealers I went to only had steering wheel models on their lots.
So far I've got about 8 hours on it, and I've cut slightly wet 2-3 foot grass on my septic mound system, which is about 60 feet long and has a wicked downslope at both ends, and on the backside slope. The carbed Kawa is way quieter than the currently supplied 27HP Kohler EFI. Technically my mower was a 2016 build date, but sold in 2017. I believe the Kohler is the ONLY currently available engine, but maybe a dealer can order either engine

It has a 60" deck like my Scag, and ability to tow a sweeper or cart. Bager & striper are available; don't want/need either.

I kept shaking my head about considering buying yet another ZT after my Scag nightmare; (no fault of the mower- just too little research on part of buyer, me, when it came time to buy a mower back then).
So I'm asking myself - do you really want to go from an AWD rider back to a ZT?!
When I found the new ZT at my local dealer seriously discounted because a guy bought it and then decided it was too big a deck for his business use, I test drove it on a hillside. Then the dealer put it through it's paces where I had be gingerly going across the hill, being used to my Scag's wild azzed rodeo bull performances.What he showed me was not to be believed! I wrote a check and am now a finally confident in this particular ZT. Mostly because of the 4 wheel steering- IT'S AWESOME! Unbelievable really; I can now cut grass, weeds, small saplings, (just kidding on the saplings)! I am very happy with it's build quality, maneuverability and overall design. One can add 12 Volt outlet, lights, etc. and make it a mulching deck if desired too. The steering column is movable forward/back for driver comfort, and the seat is a good suspension seat with armrests. Higher grade seat and other options come on the 500, 700 and 900 model mowers. So far no regrets from this owner.

Having learned the hard way the first ZT buy, I would suggest anyone looking to buy a ZT test drive one on their worst sections of lawn or similar terrain at a dealer before even considering buying a ZT. They are excellent machines, BUT, IMHO a one trick pony that doesn't like slopes, damp or especially wet grass etc., unless of course one buys a ZT specialty pro grade mower like the one I just bought. Hope this helps!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Does anyone have "zero turn regret"? #76  
I've been chasing the same gremlins with my Scag - in fact, my second factory PTO switch melted to the point where it damaged the harness plug. Turns out the PTO clutch was failing and pulling too much power which heated things up. After lots of research, bought a new PTO clutch from Xtreme and so far so good..

/ Does anyone have "zero turn regret"? #77  
I've been chasing the same gremlins with my Scag - in fact, my second factory PTO switch melted to the point where it damaged the harness plug. Turns out the PTO clutch was failing and pulling too much power which heated things up. After lots of research, bought a new PTO clutch from Xtreme and so far so good..

I think that's what I'm going to end up doing. I can go about five minutes before the fuse blows. I can't find a short and the mechanic at the dealership said a new clutch would be about $350.

/ Does anyone have "zero turn regret"? #78  
Re: Does anyone have "zero turn regret"?

I think that's what I'm going to end up doing. I can go about five minutes before the fuse blows. I can't find a short and the mechanic at the dealership said a new clutch would be about $350.
Installed? If not, that seems a little steep, it appears that they run between $100 and $200 online.

Aaron Z

/ Does anyone have "zero turn regret"? #79  
I think my clutch was 249 + 15 bucks to ship- the OEM clutch was just a few bucks different. I'm not an expert with electronics but there are some good videos on youtube to show how to check the resistance of the clutch with some ranges that tell you if it's done or not. For some reason, my fuse never blew- just melted the switch and plug.. sounds like your fuse is doing what it's supposed to do - not sure why mine didn't.. Also - there is a funny guy on You-Tube named "Taryl" who is a bit of a comedian but also has some good videos on replacing this clutch - you can find him here: Xtreme Clutch Installation Video with Taryl - YouTube

Good luck.

/ Does anyone have "zero turn regret"? #80  
Tried garden tractors, zero turns with lap bars, and a zero turn tractor and all had shortcomings on my highly sloped lawn. Ended up with a Cub SZ60 Tank and never looked back. Added some weight to the front, and with the steering wheel it holds my most severe slope with no issues. No issues at all after 3 years of use.