dodge truck wont run

/ dodge truck wont run #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
Buddy bought a dodge truck that refuses to run. While original owner was driving truck, oil pressure gauge started jumping from zero to 50, just bouncing up and down. Engine died, but would crank back. Took truck to dealeship and they claimed engine was blown, I am very sceptical about this, but I didnt see the truck before they replaced the engine. Anyways, engine rebuild, would crank and run for a few seconds then die and not crank back again until next day. Oil pressure gauge still jumping up and down. Dealer claims PCM bad and replaced. Still not running. Replaced crank sensor, cam sensor, no help. dealer gave up on fixing the truck ( left it sitting for about 6 months)and owner finally picked it up and sold it to my buddy. Buddy pulled plugs, They where supposed to be new, but they werent even a matched set. 3 where fouled. Replaced plugs, and wires. Checked fuel pressure, replaced oil pressure sending unit. (stopped the oil pressure guage from flucuating), checked and cleaned all electrical connection and plugs. New relays in fuse panel. Got mechanic to hook up laptop but couldnt find any code or other problems. (same mechanic from dealership the truck was originally taken to). Truck doesnot have the security key ignition switch, so it isnt a bad key communication problem. There is spark at the spark plugs and gas is getting to the cylinders. Timing has been checked as well as timing gears and chains. This engine just dont want to run. Its probably something simple since all the major parts have been changed. Does anybody have a good guess as to what the problem could be.. He has already tried another new PCM and is planning on swapping out the injectors and coil packs out of a known running engine. After that, I dont know what else is left to check.

/ dodge truck wont run #2  
It doesn't sound like it was rebuilt or replaced at all. You didn't mention what year it is, how many miles or motor size. Sounds like he needs to find a better dealer with more diagnostic experience. If you have spark at the plugs and gas getting to the cylinders but not firing then the distributor or plug firing order isn't correct. Timing may be correct but plugs aren't firing when they are supposed to.