Do youi need a 570hp truck?

/ Do youi need a 570hp truck? #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
Supercharged Hemi V8 Hellcat Engine Information - Information Regarding the Possible Upcoming Hemi Supercharged Hellcat - Road & Track

maybe a Hellcat is in your future.
Neat name for a serious motor,
I was more interested in the article's comment about
this likely being the last of the big stuff before new CAFE requirements
will force us all into blown Vanguard twins...:(

wasn't there a world war two fighter with that name??

But before they go, one of these would be nice...though I bet it's got a serious
appetite at the pump.

Which has the most torque advantage/capability...supercharged or turbocharged?
Somehow I always thought supercharging was for peak hp not torque, but someone correct me please
if need be.

I used to own a boat with DD 8V71TI diesels that had both turbos and a main supercharger. Have been confused ever since...:confused:

Last edited:
   / Do youi need a 570hp truck? #2  
At least you had your answer having both turbos and a supercharger hp and torque if thats correct!

Hellcat name sounds like a wicked beast.

/ Do youi need a 570hp truck? #4  
Supercharger is belt driven so it gives better performance at lower RPM's while the Turbo charger is exhaust driven so it works best at higher RPM's.

I was always told that Superchargers took more power to operate but I don't recall which gave the best performance across the board. Turbo's are a lot less $$.

How long would that motor produce 570 HP before it died? My guess is not very long but I could be proven wrong.

/ Do youi need a 570hp truck? #5  
Not practical but sure would be fun. Just like the super charged F150 Lightning I just had to have. It was fun for a year then I needed a real truck with 4x4.

Chris

/ Do youi need a 570hp truck? #6  
I was always under the impression that the supercharger was for low and mid torque where a turbo was more for topend ponies. The often quoted "supercharger uses horsepower" is hog wash IMO. How can it "use" horsepower yet make the engine produce more power than stock. Gimme a break. Just because you can actually see a belt being spun around doesn't mean its draining horsepower from the motor. Quite the opposite. IIRC a supercharger is a power adder right? The supercharger being belt driven means that it has IMMEDIATE response to the throttle. Turbo technology has come a long way since the days of yore and twin turbos now almost act like a supercharger.

I dont have any side by side comparision and its not exactly fair either but I had a super charged 6 cylinder car and a turbo charged 6 cylinder truck. For pure fun, the supercharger was hands down more playful! The instant you hit the skinny peddle, there was boost on that car. The truck always took a noticeable amount of time to spool up but when it "lit off" as long as the rpm's were kept up it was very peppy. The majority of drivers "race" stop light to stop light. Bench racers and forum racers quote peak numbers for the most part.

I think I just ranted to myself? But to answer the thread title. Who doesn't need 570hp+ for a truck? The question should be, who can afford a 570hp truck!?

/ Do youi need a 570hp truck? #7  
What was the HP on the previous Ram SRT10?

And will this version be available with a stick? If atuo, paddle shift?

/ Do youi need a 570hp truck? #8  
wasn't there a world war two fighter with that name??

Also a tank with that name (technically a tank destroyer), but it also had a radial aircraft engine for power, but not 2,000 horsepower.

/ Do youi need a 570hp truck?
I wonder if any Hellcat WWII airplanes flew against the Italians, who now own Dodge...
Or were they Pacific based? whatever, maybe Dodge/Chrysler has the authority to pick their model
names still.

Everyone is trying to reduce fuel consumption. In fifty years our grandchildren will go to a museum where a Hellcat airplane might be
next to a Dodge Ram Hellcat. In the Extinct Technology exhibit. Wouldn't that be a hoot. Until then, most of us would rather have a Hemi.

Just think, Dodge will then be making an Atkins cycle turbo two providing the juice for four
200hp micro motors, each computer controlled. 1200 ft.lb. torque, almost instantaneously.
Hellcat Veyrons for the masses.

No matter what type of propulsion will be used, there will always be those of us trying to
optimize or increase the power. Though if the standard model had 800hp, I probably couldn't complain.:dance1:

/ Do youi need a 570hp truck? #10  
It takes power to turn a supercharger just like it does a water pump or alternator since it is belt driven. A turbo is exhaust driven so it is pretty much free horsepower. Superchargers on races cars at max boost can take 300hp+ to turn them.