Do you personally go to a farmer's market?

/ Do you personally go to a farmer's market? #1  

JasperFrank

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1220
We have several in my area that are permanent. We go all the time to these, but it is a must do when ever we hear about a new one. These tend to be pop up markets that don't do it every year. We always find something really great, like Lamb sausage sticks, other jerky's, cheeses, local jams and honey. Or some one is making bread in an extraordinary way. Things you just can't buy at Cosco, or Winco. :)

/ Do you personally go to a farmer's market? #2  
Used to go all the time with my mom back in the 60s and 70s. Wife and I used to go in the 80s and 90s. Most of our farmer friends have passed away, so they don't have booths there anymore. One friend owns a bakery, so great cookies at her booth. It's not nearly as many fruits and vegetables and more crafts and such now. But always good for some caramel corn. We probably only go once a year anymore.

/ Do you personally go to a farmer's market?
Yah, I hear you on the crafts stuff. We sort of ignore these. You should not try to sell "ART" or jewelry at a farmers' market. Its about the local land to table as food. But the organizers have to make that choice as if the ground fee for the event can pay off. So I think they always have to allow the jobbers, and the transient art sellers that pay for the space. . We have a newish local farmers' market. Which is only $15 a table. It was very fun to read the requirements for a space. : "You have to make this stuff your self. There is no reselling here, or crafts you have not personally created. And we reserve the right to disallow your participation at any time." I very much respect this.

Last edited:
   / Do you personally go to a farmer's market? #5  
Absolutely, I like the idea of no reselling, you grow it you can sell it.
We used to have a big garden but gave that up many years ago and now I only grow a few things for the heck of it, my wife passed away 4 years ago so I really have no need to grow anything but I still visit the Farmers Market and pick up a few things.

A farmer friend gave gave my friend 2 bushels of purple hull peas I told her bring them over I have a pea sheller that I haven't used if over 5 years that thing saves a lot of time.

/ Do you personally go to a farmer's market? #7  
Not lately, but now that we are settling into our final home, we will definitely participate as both buyers and sellers. Won't likely have much to sell for a year or two.

Not a fan of the pop-up type as they seem to be rovers who aren't local farmers (or farmers at all).

We have a neighbor who is friends will a local beef rancher. She sells as a charity, so profits are all donated. Beef is lean, but still tasty. We'll probably get some from her. I'd like to buy from my cousins, but it's a long drive with 1/2 or 1/4 side of beef.

/ Do you personally go to a farmer's market? #9  
Yah, I hear you on the crafts stuff. We sort of ignore these. You should not try to sell "ART" or jewelry at a farmers' market. Its about the local land to table as food. But the organizers have to make that choice as if the ground fee for the event can pay off. So I think they always have to allow the jobbers, and the transient art sellers that pay for the space. . We have a newish local farmers' market. Which is only $15 a table. It was very fun to read the requirements for a space. : "You have to make this stuff your self. There is no reselling here, or crafts you have not personally created. And we reserve the right to disallow your participation at any time." I very much respect this.
Our farmers market is well over 100 years old. It's been in its current location since 1928. It's a fairly large building in the shape of an H, so that vendors can drive in to the backs of the booths that are inside the H. There's a covered driveway at each open end of the H. Well over 100 booths available. Some take multiple booths. There's also a butcher shop in there, a candy shop and a couple others that are more or less permanent.

IMG_3861.jpeg

/ Do you personally go to a farmer's market? #10  
Nice! I love good farmer's markets. When we lived elsewhere, we were regulars.

I have to admit that we have quit going to the ones around us because the food in our local farmer's markets isn't for the most part local. My thoughts run a long the lines of "What happened to 'farm fresh'?". We do have a local grocery that is quite good at getting local produce in season. Not the same, but better than some other things.

My niece belongs to a CSA famers coop that delivers a box of vegetables every week, with a mix of what is in season. It's great, and you get a chance to have heirloom type varieties that do not generally turn up elsewhere.

All the best,

Peter