Do you like your Colorado/Tacoma/Ranger?

/ Do you like your Colorado/Tacoma/Ranger? #1  

om21braz

Veteran Member
It's time to get serious about daily driver change. Presently driving a 97' F250 w/ 460 - you already what kind of mileage it gets. Looking for a small truck for daily use, mainly driving back & forth to work. It will also serve as a spare vehicle. I would go car, but trips to the landfill and other projects make a truck a little more versatile. What have ya'll got and why do you like/dislike it? Oh, keeping the F250 for trailer duty, etc.

/ Do you like your Colorado/Tacoma/Ranger? #2  
I have a choice of a full size Chevy pickup or an S-10. Even though the S-10 is 7 years older, its still my favorite daily driver. Smaller, more economical, feels more agile (and has saved me), trustworthy, nice ride. Mileage of the 1997 S-10 is about 21 highway, while the 2004 5.3 Chev is 17. Not much, but something. The only thing that stops me from a Colorado is the straight 5 cyl motor. The towing capacity is less than that of my 4.3 v6. Guys say they are fine for towing, but these guys are towing very lite loads on snowmobile trailers. I havent been able to talk to anyone pulling 5000 lbs with one.

/ Do you like your Colorado/Tacoma/Ranger? #3  
Tough to beat either the Tacoma or Ranger. To be honest I only know of one Colorado in my area so can not comment.

Chris

/ Do you like your Colorado/Tacoma/Ranger? #4  
I've had 4 Ford Rangers. I have a 2005, which is the current rendition.
It is an old design, really old. Got to know that going in. But...

I have the 2.3, the new Mazda/Ford engine, not the older German Ford designed engine used before 2002. This engine is even better on fuel and is a very modern design. Love it. I have the 5 speed manual.

It was $$$$$ less than anything else to buy. Ford's made their profits off these long ago. I bought it purely as a mileage maker, handy, utility truck.

With summer fuel, it will get 31 mpg on the freeway, steady 70 mph. In mixed driving, 25 mpg. It cannot be beat. Blows away all the others. But again, it is the oldest, least refined truck of the bunch.

Reliable? Bullet proof. These trucks long ago worked out any weakness or bugs. Mine's never been in the shop, ever.

Probably buy a Tacoma, hands down, if I wanted a modern truck, but the price!!!! gag!

/ Do you like your Colorado/Tacoma/Ranger?
Probably buy a Tacoma, hands down, if I wanted a modern truck, but the price!!!! gag!
+1 I agree - seems owners/dealers asking almost double the price of the Rangers.

/ Do you like your Colorado/Tacoma/Ranger? #6  
One of my brothers had a 97 S10 (4 cyl., manual transmission) and traded for a Colorado when the S10 had about 180K miles on it. But he was not happy with the Colorado and especially when some of the HVAC controls required some very expensive repairs; something like 8 hours of labor shortly after the warranty expired. Anyway, he didn't keep it long; traded for a new F150.

Five years ago, when my grandson started driving, he got a 98 S10 that already had over 100k miles on it with the V-6, automatic, loaded. I guess he only drove it 3 years, but only sold it because he sort of "inherited" a lower mileage half ton Silverado.

I bought my 2001 Supercab Ranger 6 years ago with 36k miles on it. It now has 76k miles on it. Overall, from the day I bought it, it has averaged 18.431 mpg, but it has the biggest V-6 (4.0L) engine and I guess every accessory except power seat; i.e., power door locks, power windows, mirrors, air, cruise, tilt wheel, trailer hitch, etc. And most of my driving in it has been relatively short distance, city driving, and I do like air-conditioning in Texas:laughing:. I have no intention of replacing it in the foreseeable future.

I know some of the others are good, too, but right now if I were looking for a small truck, I probably wouldn't even look at anything but a Ranger.

/ Do you like your Colorado/Tacoma/Ranger? #7  
Driving my 3rd Ranger, an 08. The second one was a 92 and it's still very road worthy. I'd still be driving the 92, but I couldn't pass up the 08 when a deal presented it's self.
First Ranger was an 86 2.9L. It was fun to drive. Last two are 4x4s with 4L engines. Not quite as nimble but no complaints from me.
I'd buy another, but I may never will have to.:cool:

/ Do you like your Colorado/Tacoma/Ranger? #8  
If you want a new Ranger, you better pick one up quick. Ford is currently scheduled to shut down production of the Ranger at the end of this model year.

/ Do you like your Colorado/Tacoma/Ranger? #9  
Are you looking at new or used? This applies to the used ones.

The "rust belt" 2004 and older Tacomas have been involved with a frame rust recall. The early ones that failed were bought back by Toyota. The later 2001-2004that failed some were bought back and some had the frame replaced.

SWMBO has an '04 4x4 CrewCab that passed the frame rust test, Toyota applied a treatment to the frame and extended the rust warranty. The treatment had to be completed by certain date in 2010 or the rust warranty would not be extended. She likes this vintage of Tacoma, considers the newer ones too large. Truck went 90K before first set of brakes, replaced dash light bulbs at around 80K. The only real issue we have on this truck is the front end seems to eat tires fast even with rotation. I think the front end was not designed for the 16" tires that came from the factory. The other complaint I have is the seats are uncomfortable. The important think is she still likes it after 6 years.

The Tacoma replaced an '02 S10 CrewCab that fell apart between 36K and 50K. Items included U-Joints, Door Hinges, Phantom Check Engine Lights, Heated Seat failure, and Front Axle encoder. Although, the Full-Size GM trucks I have owned have been reliable.

I used to have '91 ranger 2.3L 5 speed as a commuter vehicle drove it from 1999 to 2004 put 80K on it and sold it to BIL he finally sold it for scrap price after hitting a deer with it 2009. I think it ate a couple starters, brake lines, and a fuel pump and that was about it.

/ Do you like your Colorado/Tacoma/Ranger? #10  
I like my tacoma, it replaced a f-150 that was getting a little old with 230k miles. I got a good deal on a used one with the 4cyl engine and 4wd. Not the most powerful thing around but that's OK. My main complaint is that it needs 300lbs of sand in the back during the winter to deal with the snow, but I think most small trucks are similar.
This is our third Toyota sold the first one at about 220k miles when a friend had a low milage one for sale at a great price. Sold that one to a friend and it is still going strong with over 200k miles on it, it has not been babied and was their extra vehicle, family loaner car. Current one has 130k miles and I have not had to do anything to it beyond routine stuff.
They are pretty industrutable trucks and you can find good deals on some low milage older models if you are patient and it seems that the 2wd models don't carry as hefty a premium as 4wd.
Tom