Do you grease your 3 point hitch swivels?

/ Do you grease your 3 point hitch swivels? #1  

bx24

Platinum Member
Up until now, I have not added any lubrication to my 3 point hitch friction points (pins, ball swivels etc). I have heard the arguments go both ways:

Don't because:

Oil / Lube attracts dust and eventually only makes things worse

Do because:

Keeps things from sticking and makes movement easier

What are the rest of your thoughts?

Paul

/ Do you grease your 3 point hitch swivels? #2  
I wipe mine with a thin coat of never seeze. Dirt and dust wash off when I wash my tractor and everything keeps moving like it is suppose too. I also twice a year take top link, lower link, and any other threaded connection apart to clean and never seeze again.

Peter

/ Do you grease your 3 point hitch swivels? #3  
One of the tractors I use is 35 years old. I don't believe the ball swivels have ever been greased. They work fine.

/ Do you grease your 3 point hitch swivels? #4  
I like to light oil the balls and wipe the excess off every time I change an implements. No major wear noticed to date on my Kubota(s) or my JDs for that matter.

/ Do you grease your 3 point hitch swivels? #5  
My dealer hoses them down with white lithium whenever I take it in for service. Not sure if it is good or bad. Seems to stay sufficiently lubricated and not attract a gross amount of gunk, so I just do that every month or two. Whenever the mood strikes me.

/ Do you grease your 3 point hitch swivels? #6  
I use liquid graphite so as not to attract dirt. The carrier dissolves leaving only the graphite which is an excellent dry lube. But then, how can you argue with a 35 year old tractor whose swivels have never been lubed and still work? Have no idea which way is best so I guess it's whatever turns your gears.

/ Do you grease your 3 point hitch swivels?
I forgot to mention when I started this link that I went ahead and brushed on some white lithium grease on them. I think I will go the route of occasional lubing and wiping off the excess.

I worked at a garage where the guy cut a small 1/4" hole or so in the top cover of a grease tub and left a small brush (the kind with the hollow metal handle) always stuck through the hole. It worked so well I have not been without my own since then (25 years later). I use it to quick lube studs and other bolts that I would prefer come apart later without the rust. Reply if you want a picture but I think you guys get the idea

/ Do you grease your 3 point hitch swivels? #8  
Greetings;

I'd have to put myself in Studway's camp. My 56 year old Ford's swivels have never see a drop of lube and they are fine.

Cheers, Erik

/ Do you grease your 3 point hitch swivels? #9  
1953 Ford Jubilee and have never lubed. Work just fine.

/ Do you grease your 3 point hitch swivels? #10  
I pretty much give everything that is not orange and gray a good coat of WD 40. Usually 1 per month and then 2 heavy coats before winter salt arrives on the roads. Everything on the underside looks as good as new including 3 PT hitch balls and all pins.
Jeff