Do you charge your battery before winter?

/ Do you charge your battery before winter? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
They seem to last a lot longer that way. 12 years out of my 2005 B7800 battery.

/ Do you charge your battery before winter? #2  
I have a couple battery tenders and charge every battery I have once per month. Who knows if it helps, I just had to replace my Harley battery only 3 years old.:confused3:

/ Do you charge your battery before winter? #3  
I just give every unused battery a trickle charge for a few days, every now and then through the winter. It doesn't take much. A good battery will keep its charge for a good while. I believe that constant charging isn't warranted.

Last edited:
   / Do you charge your battery before winter? #4  
I put my unused batteries (RV and riding mower) on a trickle charger battery tender all winter long. I remove them and put them on a shelf in the garage where they will spend the winter being "tended". I plan on using the Branson for snow removal on my place and my neighbor's, so doubt I'll need a tender on that one.

/ Do you charge your battery before winter? #5  
Tried to start my tractor a couple days ago. Tractor was outside all summer and saw limited use and I wanted to move it to the garage for the winter so it was ready to plow and blow snow with. I hadn't used it for about a month and outside temp was 19* F and tractor wouldn't start. Glow plugs warmed up but then just a click. Had to use the jump pack to start it. Being out in the cold and lack of use was too much for the battery. Once in the garage I greased all the fittings, checked the fluids, tire pressures and put the battery on a slow charge overnight with the charger/maintainer. The next day I tested it with a battery load tester and seems to be OK. If it doesn't start in a few days I'll have to pull and replace the battery. My Harley and Street Rod are put away for the winter and have battery tenders plugged in. My 3 trailer batteries have been put in the garage and also on tenders. The winter season has begun here.

/ Do you charge your battery before winter? #6  
People never speak much of hydrometers on here. Charge the battery, then take readings of specific gravity. The battery sounds weak if it lost it's charge that soon.

If it proves weak, don't look back, do yourself and the tractor a favor and buy a new battery.

/ Do you charge your battery before winter? #7  
People never speak much of hydrometers on here. Charge the battery, then take readings of specific gravity. The battery sounds weak if it lost it's charge that soon.

If it proves weak, don't look back, do yourself and the tractor a favor and buy a new battery.

I have a hydrometer however, no access to the battery to use it. On top of my battery is metal bracketry that hold the CPU mounted on top with a bunch of related wiring. No direct access to remove the battery caps to use the hydrometer. The load tester was my next best choice. If and when I have to remove all that stuff it will be to replace the battery, not to test the specific gravity but thanks for your input.

/ Do you charge your battery before winter?
I replace with Optima batteries where possible so no way to check an AGM battery.

/ Do you charge your battery before winter? #9  
My OEM battery on my 2009 M6040 started appearing weak - fall 2016. Replaced it with the largest AGM battery ( Odyssey Group 31 - model-31M-PC2150 - 2150 CCA ) I could find and now keep an appropriate Battery Tender on it. Gel cell type battery lasted eleven years on previous tractor with appropriate "tender" used year round. When I need the tractor to plow my mile long gravel driveway - I don't want to be fooling around with a dead battery.

My mistake that I didn't have a battery tender on the OEM battery - probably would still be in good shape.

Last edited:
   / Do you charge your battery before winter? #10  
Have one tender that gets rotated between (4) batteries on a somewhat regular (whenever I walk by the bench and notice the status light is green it gets moved to another battery) schedule.