Do you and what do or would you charge

/ Do you and what do or would you charge #1  

DarinRay

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 JD 4310 300CX 72MM, dozers, excavtors, bachoes, loader, tractors.
I have a questions for all of you about lending and or charging your equipment out. I own a backhoe (Kubota L35), excavator (Kubota KX91-2), & a dozer (Komatsu D21P-7) and I've had a couple people ask me to do some side work for them, which I have no problem doing but think I'm getting taken advantage from due to word of mouth and what I've been helping (charging neighbors). Well now one of my neighbors wants to have a union dozer operator run my dozer on his land with the operator. My question is what shoudl I charge him for my dozer and how --- hourly or by the day? What also is the going rates for work performed with an operator (not real experienced though) with excavator and dozer along with tractoring? Thanks people.

Darin

/ Do you and what do or would you charge #2  
<font color=blue>"Well now one of my neighbors wants to have a union dozer operator run my dozer on his land with the operator."</font color=blue>

Sounds to me like your neighbor is just using you and your dozer as a rental agency./w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

I don't think I'd get involved in a deal like that. Ask yourself why doesn't this "union" operator have access to a dozer? If you feel you must get involved, I'd find out what a rental agency charges for renting out a comparable piece of equipment and charge that. I'd make sure that the neighbor signed an agreement that protected your property (dozer) from damage and/or abuse. Oh yeah, do you have insurance on your equipment in case something happens?

My $0.02 worth. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Do you and what do or would you charge
Yeah see that's my problem too....no insurance on the equipment. I am really starting to figure I am going to tell him I will do it but will not be lent out. Any other opions and ideas of charges?

Darin

/ Do you and what do or would you charge #4  
1. what you already decided - I wouldn't let someone else use my equipment that I didn't know really well. Good way for some abuse and the insurance thing is more problematic. re charges in upstate NY
dozer JD450 6 way blade about $60-75 per hour w/ operator
20000lb excavator about $100 per hour w/ operator
backhoe (full size) - just paid $75/hour w/ operator. For some of the smaller jobs it doesn't really pay to do it yourself. I was going to rent an excavator to dig out my pond and it was $900/day. Cost me $600 to have it done with anoperatyor who knew what he was doing. (OK - doing it myself WOULD have had the fun factor in there!!)

Thanks for the input and now I just have to find a pleasant way of telling him NO. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Anyone else have any comments or suggestions?

Darin

Shoot forgot the pictures. #1

Attachments

• 17-166484-DSC00574.JPG
    17-166484-DSC00574.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 207

Attachments

• 17-166485-DSC00575.JPG
    17-166485-DSC00575.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 259

Attachments

• 17-166487-DSC00577.JPG
    17-166487-DSC00577.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 253
   / Do you and what do or would you charge #9  
That is one mighty fine looking dozer ..

/ Do you and what do or would you charge #10  
Darin,
The only way someone gets to use my equipment,is if its on their job with me runnin' it,this equipment costs lots of money to buy and lots of money to fix,the couple times I did lend my stuff to "friends" something always came back a little fussed up.Also when you get someone who is used to runnin' large equipment all the time and they hop on the smaller stuff,they have a hard time realizing the limitations and get frustrated quickly and tend to abuse the equipment.I used to own an L35,KX 151 excavator,and a deere 450D dozer,rates with an operator were as follows:L35 $65/hr KX151 $75/hr 450D/$75/hr.Hope this helps,nice lookin' stuff by the way/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif