Do we need a warm garage....

/ Do we need a warm garage.... #1  

Oldpath05

Tractor
none
I just got my chimney pipe delivered, $703.00 for 7> 6"x36" and one roof top chimney flashing, Supervent from Lowe's, then bought from ebay a 6" stove pipe adapter for $31.00, that should get me started. Been doing the rough lay-out tonight with pencil, tape and level, trying to get an exact fit, dont want any do-ove's.

Thought about doing 26' of cement block for around $600.00, but my arm's and back said no compared to the price I payed at Lowe's. HD had a different brand for about the same price but pick-up in store only, not a fan of that. First I called a local stove shop for a quote, $252.00/4', are you nuts, and the online stores weren't much better, sometimes more. I guess on some things for some reason, the big box stores cant be beat, not even come close.

/ Do we need a warm garage.... #2  
Oldpath,

you will be glad you went with metal insulated pipe. It draws better because the gas heat is not sucked out by the masonry. Far less creosote for the same reason.

I've had both masonry and insulated pipe, masonry was cracking all over within a few years. The insulated pipe insulates so well, I could touch the pipe at all but the hottest burns.

/ Do we need a warm garage.... #3  
The chimney prices are hard to swallow, but it's once and done. It will last almost forever.

/ Do we need a warm garage.... #4  
I spent huge $$$ for a stainless "Class A" flue for my basement wood furnace - required about 35 ft of 8" ID flue. Today, the guy that installed it came to clean it for the first time. It has been in for about 5 years with only about 2 real seasons of use. There was VERY LITTLE creosote buildup. We try to use reasonably well seasoned wood, and keep the flue temp (at the furnace) at at least 250-300 deg. But sometimes the fire cools down and at the end of the season, sometimes wood is less than ideal.

My B-I-L has a similar wood furnace with a similar height chimney/flue, but his is all masonry. He has fits getting it warmed enough to draw well, and the upper parts apparently NEVER warm enough to prevent creosote condensation. He has to brush it out about once a month to keep it from almost completely clogging. So he lives in fear of a chimney fire in his $1/2mil log home.

I predict that the satisfaction of your well-performing flue will far outlast the pain of today's expense.

/ Do we need a warm garage.... #5  
Understand, no chimney is forever. Well,,,,,, maybe a very large, very thick rock chimney. Otherwise, plan to replace. Insulated pipe chimneys work well. For 10 years if well maintained and burn very seasoned firewood. Creosote is extremely corrosive.

/ Do we need a warm garage....
What's in the box...it says Supervent on the out side, on the pipe it reads, Made in Canada, by Selkirk Corp. The 6" ID pipe measures a little over 8" OD, be interesting to see how hot it gets on the outside of the pipe, but the stuff sure is shinny. One thing I'm curious about when it goes together by twisting it, wonder if it will untwist by itself or does it need a screw to hold it, hummm, youtube............

/ Do we need a warm garage.... #7  
The stainless insulated pipe I have (house & shop) is guaranteed for life, made in Canada... I heat my house with wood, so it does get used all winter.

My brother has the same pipe in his shop and it's a lot more than 10yrs old, it still looks like new.

He keeps his shop heated all winter too, as he has a kitchen and pooper in it.

I also have the same pipe in my shop, it's easily 30 yrs old, but I don't burn my shop stove every day... BUT, it was pipe dad used for 10 years or so, when heating his house. I got it used from him...

SR

Oldpath,

you will be glad you went with metal insulated pipe. It draws better because the gas heat is not sucked out by the masonry. Far less creosote for the same reason.

I've had both masonry and insulated pipe, masonry was cracking all over within a few years. The insulated pipe insulates so well, I could touch the pipe at all but the hottest burns.

I've had trouble with the tile and cement blocks cracking in my first house chimney, replaced it 20 years ago by all the in-tell I could gather up from a few cement heads, then then 15 years ago I wanted to make darn sure never to mess with my house chimney again, call a chimney liner person, he lined my chimney with high grade SS pipe and guaranteed it for a life time. Today my chimney still looks brand new after heavy use and I can sleep better.

The stainless insulated pipe I have (house & shop) is guaranteed for life, made in Canada... I heat my house with wood, so it does get used all winter.

My brother has the same pipe in his shop and it's a lot more than 10yrs old, it still looks like new.

He keeps his shop heated all winter too, as he has a kitchen and pooper in it.

I also have the same pipe in my shop, it's easily 30 yrs old, but I don't burn my shop stove every day... BUT, it was pipe dad used for 10 years or so, when heating his house. I got it used from him...

SR

Well that's encouraging, 30 years and still smoking, guess Canada makes good chimney pipe.

I spent huge $$$ for a stainless "Class A" flue for my basement wood furnace - required about 35 ft of 8" ID flue. Today, the guy that installed it came to clean it for the first time. It has been in for about 5 years with only about 2 real seasons of use. There was VERY LITTLE creosote buildup. We try to use reasonably well seasoned wood, and keep the flue temp (at the furnace) at at least 250-300 deg. But sometimes the fire cools down and at the end of the season, sometimes wood is less than ideal.

My B-I-L has a similar wood furnace with a similar height chimney/flue, but his is all masonry. He has fits getting it warmed enough to draw well, and the upper parts apparently NEVER warm enough to prevent creosote condensation. He has to brush it out about once a month to keep it from almost completely clogging. So he lives in fear of a chimney fire in his $1/2mil log home.

I predict that the satisfaction of your well-performing flue will far outlast the pain of today's expense.

8" ID/35', I'd say your in the $$$$$ alright, my guess is around $3k. With 2 out of 5 years full use, should last a real long time, especially way down in Tenn.
What's a B-I-L, usually draft on a chimney can be a little better on round chimney pipe vs. square blocks, could do what I did, have it re-lined with SS stove pipe.