Do motion detector solar security lights actually work?

/ Do motion detector solar security lights actually work? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Local advertisements from a big box store have solar powered motion detector security lights for $20. The idea of no wiring and free power is appealing but I don't know a thing about them and wonder if they work. I don't even know what you have to do to install. Do you just screw them to the side of the building and wait for night?

How waterproof are they on the south side of a building? How do they do in the winter? How long do they last and what is good and bad about them? What does installation involve and are these the wave of the future for outdoor lighting? Are they worth it or not? Any advice is appreciated.

/ Do motion detector solar security lights actually work? #2  
Ours do, but they can run out of battery if over used especially on a cloudy day, but not often.

/ Do motion detector solar security lights actually work? #3  
6dogs-

Yes.

They run down as described by dieselscout. I liked the adjustable sensitivity setting. The lights are easily wall mounted with a pair of screws. I had mine placed on a south facing wall protected by overhanging eaves with full sun exposure to the solar panel and for whatever reason(s) the storage batteries failed. The weatherproofing seemed sufficient. They would only light up at night when some motion triggered the detector (which is able to be positioned as desired).

/ Do motion detector solar security lights actually work? #4  
$20 isn't going to buy much in the way of solar lights. Unless those are $80 lights on clearance for $20,you might be disappointed with sensitivity and durability. I've found solar lights handy for remote places where 120 volts isn't available but non are as reliable and long lasting as as 120 volt units.

/ Do motion detector solar security lights actually work? #5  
We have gone through a few and are generally disappointed until we got a name brand 1100 lumen, LED's are a flat panel with the small yellow square leds as opposed to the small glass blobs, the panel is separate.
This is in our carport and works well, it has been there for 2 years now and as we are about to end DST this weekend it will be working a few times a day when we get home from work.
It is branded HPM which I think is an Australian brand but I could be wrong but I am sure it is rebadged from China, cost around AU$80.
You get what you pay for unfortunately.

/ Do motion detector solar security lights actually work? #6  
My cheap one worked well for about 2 years. Maybe the battery died? Haven't looked at it or replaced it yet. My guess is that if you go the $20 to $30 route you can get a few years out of it.

/ Do motion detector solar security lights actually work?
Thanks, guys. Good advice. I'm going to skip the $20 one and wait for a different deal.

/ Do motion detector solar security lights actually work? #8  
I picked up the Sunforce? Ones from Lowes a couple of years ago and put them on the shed at the back of the property where I didn't want to be bothered running a Power line and they work great! I completely forgot about them until I go back there at night and they light up the whole back yard! Every once and I while a deer or raccoon will trip them fun to see what goes on in back yard! They were on sale for $20 something?

/ Do motion detector solar security lights actually work? #9  
Six - over the years out here, I've had three or four solar motion detector/yard lights. They all came from Lowes or Home Depot or some place like that. They were cheap and, as such, failed in one way or another within one year.

I now have a solar powered marine beacon installed on the cliffs - across the little lake - about 875 feet west of my house. Its over there as a very personal reminder of a love lost.

Its been there for five years now and continues to function perfectly. I go over there and clean the bird poop off the solar cell three or four time a year - birds seem to like to roost on top of the light where the solar cell is.

It was purchased from a marine lighting supply company out of New York state and cost $220.

Julian A McDermott Corp - 1639 Stephen St - Ridgewood, NY

They handle all types of lighting for outside applications.

/ Do motion detector solar security lights actually work? #10  
The one on the solar powered gate is still working after at least about 3 or 4 years. Not sure about the one at the peak of the garage. Haven't checked it lately. Put in before the gate one. Bought at Lowes.

Ralph