Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres?

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #51  
The answer to the original question is clearly no. The OP does not "really need" a tractor. That would probably be true for most of us who do not make a living with one. Plenty of alternatives abound that may be cheaper and/or easier...hire out the work, rent, etc.

That being said, many of us get enjoyment from working for ourselves and prefer the convenience to do the work when we want it done.

Food, water, shelter are "needs". Unless the tractor is providing those, it is a want. Nothing wrong with that at all, though.

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #52  
Earlier I said get one. I’ll take the other side. We have lived on 3 acres for 25 years now. I’ve had a tractor about 13 of those years. So for 12 years I got by with a cheaper riding mower, a shovel and one of those little pull behind carts. I also have a driveway that is 600 feet long that was gravel most of that time. I got by but I was 35 when we moved in and am 60 now so as you age the tractor becomes more important.

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #54  
My friend I have a wife and kids, aswell as a full time job and still settling into our house. I personally did not expect this thread to get this large, nore do I know how to write thoughtful replies to every single person without repeating myself. I am sorry for not personally responding to you, but believe me I'm doing as much as I can with the limited free time I have
If you click on the name of a poster that becomes annoying there is an option to Ignore their posts.

Very handy. 🤠

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres?
I get what GeneV is saying, but I have seen threads where the OP replies to each comment, and it gets very awkward (and even annoying) to read.
Good luck with your potential tractor purchase.
That's how I feel, and imo saying "thanks for the answer" after 8 or 9 times feels spammy, and like you're just ignoring their answer whilst clogging the thread, maybe I'll try the like button?

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres?
To the OP.....buy the SCUT and be happy. And the Massey GC is an excellent choice.

Never mind all the other work I do with my B2620 Kubota.......just look at mowing. Two acres around my house is lawn. Even if that was my only use, I am so glad I bought the [AFFILIATE='1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"']Kubota[/AFFILIATE] over my past couple lawn and garden tractors.
No more exhaust gas poisoning, quiet, and for the 4 gallons of gas I used to burn to mow ONCE, the [AFFILIATE='1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"']Kubota[/AFFILIATE] will mow that two acres 13 times on same 4 gallons.

Then there's the snow blowing part of it. The lawn and garden tractors didn't steer with the front mount blower and always had issues with the crankcase vents freezing up.
Honestly, I hate having to walk 3-400M with a full fuel canister to refuel the mower, which happens all the time since the fuel tank is..... Well just a really bad design,so using some less fuel would be a massive benefit. And, don't call me insane but, I feel like small diesels sound much quieter than petrols when they run too

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #57  
Honestly, I hate having to walk 3-400M with a full fuel canister to refuel the mower, which happens all the time since the fuel tank is..... Well just a really bad design,so using some less fuel would be a massive benefit. And, don't call me insane but, I feel like small diesels sound much quieter than petrols when they run too
I wasn’t able to mow my front lawn without having to refuel my old garden tractor. That was a real inconvenience. Plus, I have steep hills to maintain and the garden tractor was too unstable, unsafe and didn’t have the traction I needed.

It was these experiences that led to the temptation to begin researching a diesel tractor. Once I realized everything else a tractor could do and what needed to be done to the property and having the ability to do it on my own time, it was an easy decision.

Mike

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #58  
That's how I feel, and imo saying "thanks for the answer" after 8 or 9 times feels spammy, and like you're just ignoring their answer whilst clogging the thread, maybe I'll try the like button?
That's one thing the "Good Post" button is useful. It indicates you read the post.
One thing you should remember is the future is unknown.
When I came on this board in 2009 I wanted skidsteer. I figured it would best suit my future needs which I planned as SMALL forestry operations in Mississippi.
@EddieWalker talked me into a tractor thankfully.
I ended up with my B7610. FOR a 1/4 acre lot in the suburbs of Northern Virginia.
Then I needed to work on my half acre lot nearby and bought my M4700.

Attachments

• 8x6SAM_0797.jpg
    8x6SAM_0797.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 161

Definitely overkill for my Virginia lots. But the M4700 fits in fine in Mississippi.

Attachments

• IMG_20151207_150524186_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20151207_150524186_HDR.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 162
So now I've my ~75 acre lot in Mississippi with a 50HP tractor and am still planning on moving the small tractor down.
Get the darn thing, well maintained tractors hold their value.

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #59  
As far as thinking about getting a Tractor, I would say definitely get one! The tools you can accompany it with to do so many tasks will make your life easier!
I have a .36 acre and use my little 4X4 17HP Tractor very often. Attachments are, Front End Loader, Forks for front and rear, Ripper, Trailer towing Mast, Ditcher.

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #60  
Growing up our neighbor had 2,500 acres...no tractor. His place was beautiful and he did everything with some draft horses. Split rail fences everywhere, he had beautiful roads and trails, fields of corn, hay, a garden, etc. all worked by hand.
Everything in life boils down to needs and wants. Growing up my grandfather finally bought a new Farmall Cub in 1949 with a dozen attachments. He should have bought a larger tractor but it all worked out.
I was here 5 years before buying a tractor. It's a balance between money you have, what your time is worth, etc. We have a long driveway but I still prefer shoveling by hand just for the exercise, same with stacking 85# hay bales... I'm 70.
Only you can decide what's best.