Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter?

/ Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter? #1  

Todd_C

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC 40A
I purchased my first tractor in August. I bought a TC-30 with FEL and filled R4s. I live in a mountainous area in Southwest Virginia. It snows several times during the winter season. I will be using my tractor and a 6' Linebaugh rear blade to keep my driveway cleared. Most of the snow totals are under 8", but we do get a few heavier snow falls. I live almost a mile off the pavement on a gravel road. I live on a ridge top. Last year we were burdened with several ice storms. There were a few days my 4x4 pickup couldn't get out.

Should I consider purchasing a set or rear chains?

/ Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter? #2  
I'd suggest trying without the chains first. I never had any need for 'em.
I doubt if snow will give you any problems...
However, icy conditions do require some kind of chains or studs. There's one guy on TBN that installs screws in the bars of his tires (makes 'em studded).

So..suggest you try the first winter without chains...you may well want to get them later..or, you may find out you don't need them.

Anyway...not much you're going to do on an iced up road with a tractor...

/ Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter? #3  
I'm going to disagree with Roy.

$100 well spent BEFORE you need them. If you don't consider it a cheap insurance policy.

Check out tirechains.com

More choices than you can shake a stick at:

Ladder (basic tire chain) get the "2 link" more cross chains than the 4 link = "smoother" ride

Dou-grip - X shaped cross chains, better sideways grip, but bumpy ride.

Either of the above is available with spikes. Great for a gravel drive, but will shred a paved one.

I've got the duo-grip. Never got stuck without them, but they sure made plowing my hill quicker...

Try a search here on tire chains - you will get plenty of hits (be sure to set the date range back far enough to cover last winter)

/ Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter? #4  
Contrary to Roy's experience (I'm also in PA) I do need chains on my R4s in winter. At least I did up till now. I guess I probably still do, but changed the grade a little getting up from my shed, so it is a little less severe.

Heck, I needed chains all summer for that matter. I took them off in May and put them back on in June. Too much rain making things slick.

You have to ask yourself if you don't get them, and find you need them, can you afford to wait however long it take to order them and have them in your hands?

If the answer is yes, then why not try without them and see what happens? If the answer is no, then order them and you will have them if you need them, or you can just put them on in advance.

When reading your question, my gut was telling me you need chains. But who knows? Be aware that in the wet fall and wet spring, grassy slopes can turn into scary situations, with ice like slides happening with little or no warning. That is what convenienced me to get chains to begin with, more than my worry that snow might require them.

If you can afford to spring for a set of $ 200 a pair chains, it might just make sense to buy them in advance...

/ Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter? #5  
"Be aware that in the wet fall and wet spring, grassy slopes can turn into scary situations, with ice like slides happening with little or no warning."

Boy..ain't that the truth!!! Man, wet grass is something to stay off of!

But I don't operate on the grasses when it's wet...tears the grass up big time...chains would tear it up more!

Henro, of course, is in western PA. I'm in south central PA. We get a few snows a year..normally one blizzard every 3 to 5 years (30" plus). And, about once a decade we get a real tough winter...frequent snows and freeze ups. Henro's area normally gets hit harder every year.

I thought about chains...just never had any situations I needed 'em.

/ Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter? #6  
I just ordered a set of the ladder type for the rear of my Cub 7275. They are not cheap with the tensioners. But I figured that I need them more than ever to do work around the farm. "TireChain.com" was the cheapest place I could find to buy them.

/ Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter? #7  
Todd
Whether you need chains or not cannot be changed if winter comes and you do not have a set when needed.
I have chains for my tractor. Never used them.
My previous tractor had chains, did not use them for about 10 years. Then a storm came that had freezing rain and about 6" of snow on top. Tractor would not move a foot without getting stuck. Went back to barn and put chains on. Completed clearing snow with no more problems.
If I did not have chains that day. I would have not been able to clear my driveway.

/ Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter? #8  
<font color="blue"> </font> There were a few days my 4x4 pickup couldn't get out.

Perhaps you have your answere with that statement.

Egon

/ Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter? #9  
I live further north, see lots of snow and have a section of driveway that is moderately steep. For 4 years I cleared snow without chains. Late in year I got stuck fairly bad, (I got out under my own power, but it took some work). I picked up a set of ring chains, and the difference is amazing. I'll put them on when the ground freezes, and take them off in the spring. People plowing have more of a need for chains, because they need all the traction they can get. With the blower, I'm sure I could get by without the chains, but they sure help when the snow gets deep, or if it gets icy.

/ Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter? #10  
Ron- I think you hit the nail squarely on the head. We use chains on both our botas here in VT and I also have a set for the front of my 2410 that I hope I will not need to use, but it feels good knowing that they can be on if needed in 10 minutes!!!
If the storm comes and you decide you need them- they are there and on in 15 minutes OR you decide you need them and they arrive in the brown truck a week and a half later!!!