Do I buy a new BX2200 or used B1700/B1750/B1550

/ Do I buy a new BX2200 or used B1700/B1750/B1550 #11  
I think you must have given del the abbreviated definition of position control just about the time I decided to start typing the long winded version./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird

/ Do I buy a new BX2200 or used B1700/B1750/B1550
Hey, you both did a great job, now I know why the 3pt lever is so goofy on the BX, my 1710 just stays where you put it, the BX always bounces right back to the middle. I'm surprised it is built that way but I'm guessing the other way is more expensive? If all they figure you might be towing is a mower it wouldn't matter much but it seems like it would be a lot easier for a novice "3-pointer" like me to use a position controlled setup for a box scraper.

/ Do I buy a new BX2200 or used B1700/B1750/B1550 #13  
Ooops. I didn't know your BX didn't have position control. I thought they had it...

So, since you've got both, do you find the BX's approach to be much of a disadvantage?

Mark

/ Do I buy a new BX2200 or used B1700/B1750/B1550
I asked the dealer about a tach when I purchased my BX2200.
He guestimated $200. I grew up with diesel tractors on a farm. Some with broken tachs. Never found myself really needing it. I run my BX2200 2/3 to 3/4 for loader and mowing functions. I may change rpm's as conditions change, trying not to labor the engine continuously, not that this is a problem with the 2200. As we get more familiar with our tractors we probably won't find a true need for a tach. Just a nice to have feature. I am glad they kept the cost down. I really like the tractor 22hp is more than enough for its size and I am certian the 1800(18hp) would do a great job too for $500 less if you could not get a 2200. The draft control has not been a issue for me. Most of the time I control this manually anyway(I live on a hill) nothing is very level. A counter weight(blade etc.)is a must with a bucket full of wet dirt.
Good luck.

/ Do I buy a new BX2200 or used B1700/B1750/B1550 #16  
Wow, Bird did a great job explaining position control. For another in-depth discussion, go to Archives, then go to Keyword search. Search for "New low priced B7500 HSD vs 2100 HSD" in Kubota database, under subject lines. Read the whole post, and you will learn a lot.

Muhammed - whatever you did to the keyword search worked, it is lightening fast!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Do I buy a new BX2200 or used B1700/B1750/B1550 #17  
Gotta disagree on the tach thing. I think it is critically important. I don't know about you guys, but under a high strain (which is exactly when you want to know what the engine is doing) about all I can hear on my 1700 is whine from the HST, not engine noise, so I would find it impossible to accurately judge what my engine is doing without a tach. I use the tach to tell me if it is time to shift down from hi ot lo range, what rpm to warm it up at (Kubota specifically says to run at 50% of rated rpm during warmup - how can you do this without a tach?), and where to run it for loader work (again, my manual says to run 1700 - 2200 rpm for loader work, and I'll be darned if I can tell that by ear). If it is a $200 fix, no big deal. The lack of position control, however, can not be upgraded. For a while I was entertaining the thought of trading in the 1700 for a 2200, because it is lower to the ground and I thought it would be safer on hills. When I found out about the lack of PC, I decided to stay with the 1700 and just buy a tiltmeter.

/ Do I buy a new BX2200 or used B1700/B1750/B1550 #18  
Del; I haven't found the solution yet, but it's something I have been looking for (searching the internet on and off). Asked a mechanic friend of mine about a week ago (to find me a cheap tach solution), but he has not responded to date. If he comes up with a viable solution, I will let everyone know.

/ Do I buy a new BX2200 or used B1700/B1750/B1550 #19  
>Hard to know what you are doing just by ear, but an aftermarket tach is always a possibility.

Wonder how you would add a tach on a diesel with a mechanical injector pump?