DK40 versus DK$%

/ DK40 versus DK$% #1  

yarbro

Southwestern Oklahoma and Northwest Wyoming
As a new tractor buyer I know very little. I have looked at and driven most of the CUT such as Kioti, Branson, Kubota, etc. but have recently been looking at the Case DX40 and DX45. My question is whether there is enough advantance of the DX45 over the DX40 to pay the extra $2,000.

I would appreciate hearing from any of you who would like to weigh in on this matter. I will be using the tractor mostly for fence building, mowing and some minor road maintenace.

Thanks.

/ DK40 versus DK$% #2  
This is my take on it; I'm looking at almost the exact same setup, except I am torn between the DX35 and DX45. I have in front of me the spec sheets for all of the Case DX series tractors. Important things (for me at least) are loader capacity, hydraulic flow, and PTO HP (I'll be running a tiller).

Loader cap at pins:

DX35 w/ LX116: 1800
DX40 w/ LX116: 2000
DX45 w/ LX116: 2000

A difference of 200 lbs. Not much, IMHO.

All three machines have a hydraulic capacity of 14.9 GPM at rated pressure.

PTO HP (w/hydro trans):
DX35: 29.1
DX40: 33.2
DX45: 37.8

Weight (w/hydro trans)
DX35: 3300
DX40: 3375
DX45: 3633

Now, the DX35, 40 and 45 are all built on the same chassis. The only thing that changes is the engine. The machines are identical from the bellhousing back. For your uses (and mine as well), there is little advantage to paying more for the DX40 or DX45. The extra ground engaging force you'd get from the larger engine is not a major consideration in my expected uses. I would imagine you probably wouldn't notice the 5 or 10 HP difference unless you were pulling a disc or doing really intense boxblade work or something. Unless you need the extra PTO HP, or a loader that can lift an extra 200#, I would save the money for attachments and get a DX35.

/ DK40 versus DK$% #3  
You're probably aware of this, but I'll mention it anyways. The 40 and 45 have a 4 cylinder engine compared to a 3 cylinder on the 35. Just something else to consider.

/ DK40 versus DK$% #4  
I remember reading a thread in the NH forums about the HST relief valve. I suspect the Case machines would be the same. The relief valve for the HST transmission is set the same on all three models, so essentially you will not be able to pull more with a DX45 than a DX35. Unless you really need the PTO power or want a 4 cyl. engine starting with the DX40, I see no reason to get the higher hp models if they all use the same HST relief valve setting.

/ DK40 versus DK$% #5  
I have owned my DX45 for a little over a month and 1/2. All ready have over 120 hours on it. The 4 cyl engine vs the 3 cly on the Kubota i had during brush hog work is a very noticable diffrence. The DX has pushed and pulled things that the kubota or a JD 110 ( rental ) would not think of moving.
IMO go for the 4cyl, order the options you need set it up so it will fit your needs over the long haul.

/ DK40 versus DK$%
Thanks to all for the very valid points and useful information. I am leaning toward the DX40 simply for the 4 cylinder engine. Otherwise I think the advice to just go with the DX35 makes a lot of sense. I went to the dealership nearest (50 miles) on Friday and looked at the tractors again. They had a DX35, DX40 and DX45 sitting side by side and as was pointed out unless you looked at the tractor designation it would have been impossible to tell them apart on the exterior.

I have been quoted a price of $19,250 for the DX40 and loader. Is that a good price? DX45 was $21,000, by the way.

/ DK40 versus DK$% #7  
You mentioned DX on all models. If that is true, that means you are getting the best price on a hydrostatic transmission I have ever seen in over four years. Are you sure you don't mean the D40 model? Those prices would be about right for that model. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ DK40 versus DK$% #8  
Nope, it is the DX. I was quoted $24,500 for a DX45 w/FEL at a dealer in Minnesota just last week.

/ DK40 versus DK$% #9  
yarbro: </font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have been quoted a price of $19,250 for the DX40 and loader. Is that a good price? DX45 was $21,000, by the way. )</font>

TBH_Farms: </font><font color="blue" class="small">( Nope, it is the DX. I was quoted $24,500 for a DX45 w/FEL at a dealer in Minnesota just last week. )</font>

Are you reading yarbro the same as me? He said his quotes were with a loader and his quote on the DX45 was $3,500 less than what you were quoted. That $3,500 is the difference between the Deluxe model tractor with hydro and the gear tractor. If you were quoted $21,000 for a DX45 with loader, wouldn't you snap it up? I sure would. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ DK40 versus DK$%
You guys must be from Missouri. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif The quotes I have received on the DX40 from two different dealers in Oklahoma are $20,350 and $19,250. I went to the dealership (which by the way handled New Holland also) and drove the tractors. Yes, the DX40 4wd models. By the way the NH comparable tractor was HIGHER in price than the Case units.

Another dealer who did not have the units in stock said he would order one for $21,000 but it would be 6 weeks to 2 months before he could deliver it. The same dealer who quoted the DX40 at $19,250 quoted the DX45 at $21,000. And, yes, they are the HST models.