DIY Potato Plow and Corn Cultivator, I Have Questions, HELP!

/ DIY Potato Plow and Corn Cultivator, I Have Questions, HELP! #1  

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
My wife said we needed to grow more potatoes and corn next growing season, so, I started looking at videos, and Google,,
I saw a combo potato plow, corn cultivator on YouTube in some foreign country (I did not understand the language)

I found what I think are the correct sweeps for the cultivator at Tractor Supply, but, they do not carry the middle buster plows, :confused:

The wheels seemed to be important, so I talked a guy at an antique shop into selling me the needed wheels,,
expensive, but, if it works, it will be worthwhile,,,

I plan on pulling it with the JD 650, if the tractor has enough weight,, and power,,
if not, then I will pull it with the JD 4105.

Right now, I am kinda at a standstill, because I can not decide on whether it should be three point hitch, or a drawbar attachment?

The JD 650 does not have remotes, so, if I build it as a drawbar attachment, I will have to use a wench to lift it at the end of the row,,,

The JD 650 is kinda small, I do not know if the three point arms will lift the weight?

Decisions, decisions,,,

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated,,,

I spent most of Saturday cutting steel and burning close to 10 pounds of welding rods,,
here are a couple pics of what I have so far,,,

S89zhOS.jpg

2VtI3Gl.jpg

axk76T4.jpg

3UrFXJ1.jpg

/ DIY Potato Plow and Corn Cultivator, I Have Questions, HELP! #2  
Ok ya got me. How is it gonna cultivate the corn. I see a definite clearance problem.

/ DIY Potato Plow and Corn Cultivator, I Have Questions, HELP! #3  
I don't know what that is you've built or how it will cultivate corn. You don't want to have to wrench anything at the end of a row, that will get old quick.

You'd be better off to buy a 3 pt cultivator, you can find them on c-list cheaper than this but it gives you an idea of what to look for.
Cultivator, 3 Point Cultivator, Garden Tiller | Agri Supply 6567

/ DIY Potato Plow and Corn Cultivator, I Have Questions, HELP! #4  
Post a link to were you got the idea, I’m not seeing a cultivator or potato plow in that design.

/ DIY Potato Plow and Corn Cultivator, I Have Questions, HELP! #5  
A small plow on a garden tractor and a rake was how we use to plant potato's

/ DIY Potato Plow and Corn Cultivator, I Have Questions, HELP! #6  
I use the David Bradley 2-wheeled garden tractors in my garden. We've pretty much used them, since Dad bought his first brand new one in 1954. I actually have 5 I use, with different set ups for cultivators, for various plants, and plant height. I can cultivate corn up to 10-12 inches tall, providing it hasn't rained recently, and the stalks have toughened up. Most have been bought at auction for under $100, most with at least 2 attachments. They can be easily re-powered with a good used, or new if you prefer, 3 hp Briggs engine, and a lot are using the Preditor engines from Harbor Freight. I've picked up 6 hardly used gas powered edgers, with Brigs engines, for cheap power, if I need an engine. Many can be bought this time of year for $35-
$40.

Many Market Garden growers are now re-discovering the smaller tractors like these, and some farm as much as 5 acre fields with them. I space my rows at 30",so as to get more bang for the buck out of my garden space. Double that width, for tomatoes.

2 years ago over the winter, I took a spare chassis, bought a home made wood splitter for the hydraulic components, a hydraulic motor off ebay, and fabbed up a frame, to make a plant setter. I works amazingly well, and was able to set 14 dozen tomato plants is just under an hour. I know my old achy knees sure did appreciate that. Below is a youtube link, of me trying the transplanter for the first time. I should have ran over that spot with a disk, to loosen the crust, but it still did a decent job.

My garden is approx. 1/4 acre, and with the 30" row spacing, can grow huge amounts of produce.

MOV2153 - YouTube

Attachments

• post-24042-0-16305500-1390960561.jpg
    post-24042-0-16305500-1390960561.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 207
  • Hilling Corn & Beans 002 (1).jpg
    Hilling Corn & Beans 002 (1).jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 245
  • DSC01507.JPG
    DSC01507.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 267
   / DIY Potato Plow and Corn Cultivator, I Have Questions, HELP!
Well, will someone explain women to me??
I told my wife,, the JD650 three point hitch would not lift this weldment,, and I needed to get a wench to help me,,
She went ballistic!! and said "NO WAY was another wench coming on this property!! "

I do not understand,,, :confused2:

:laughing:

/ DIY Potato Plow and Corn Cultivator, I Have Questions, HELP!
Well, I think I came to the realization that when I went back to that Russian video to figure out how to build this thing,,,
that I went to a different video,,,

I now think that instead of cultivating corn,, I will have to sit around and watch the corn grow,,, Hmmmmmmmmmm,,,

TMv4u0i.jpg

ioCS5AE.jpg

I think I will have to learn to speak Russian before I try to watch a Russian video again,,, :confused:

/ DIY Potato Plow and Corn Cultivator, I Have Questions, HELP! #9  
BAHAHAHAHA:thumbsup:

/ DIY Potato Plow and Corn Cultivator, I Have Questions, HELP! #10  
I use the David Bradley 2-wheeled garden tractors in my garden. We've pretty much used them, since Dad bought his first brand new one in 1954. I actually have 5 I use, with different set ups for cultivators, for various plants, and plant height. I can cultivate corn up to 10-12 inches tall, providing it hasn't rained recently, and the stalks have toughened up. Most have been bought at auction for under $100, most with at least 2 attachments. They can be easily re-powered with a good used, or new if you prefer, 3 hp Briggs engine, and a lot are using the Preditor engines from Harbor Freight. I've picked up 6 hardly used gas powered edgers, with Brigs engines, for cheap power, if I need an engine. Many can be bought this time of year for $35-
$40.

Many Market Garden growers are now re-discovering the smaller tractors like these, and some farm as much as 5 acre fields with them. I space my rows at 30",so as to get more bang for the buck out of my garden space. Double that width, for tomatoes.

2 years ago over the winter, I took a spare chassis, bought a home made wood splitter for the hydraulic components, a hydraulic motor off ebay, and fabbed up a frame, to make a plant setter. I works amazingly well, and was able to set 14 dozen tomato plants is just under an hour. I know my old achy knees sure did appreciate that. Below is a youtube link, of me trying the transplanter for the first time. I should have ran over that spot with a disk, to loosen the crust, but it still did a decent job.

My garden is approx. 1/4 acre, and with the 30" row spacing, can grow huge amounts of produce.

MOV2153 - YouTube

The pix take me back to my days as a kid when I used to dream over those David Bradley's in an old Sears farm catalog.