DIY FIRE STARTER

/ DIY FIRE STARTER #1  

Lem

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kabota RTV 500
Two inches of Diesel in a plastic 5 Gal. bucket, Diesel mixed with used any kind of oil, small amt. Put your kindling upside down until bucket is full of small wood. Soaks into the wood for later use. Wonderful fire starter.

/ DIY FIRE STARTER #2  
Have the wife collect her dryer lint for a while. Put a layer in an aluminum pie pan and cover with used scented candle wax. Break into pieces and keep for fire starter. Works better than diesel and doesn't smoke up the neighborhood.

/ DIY FIRE STARTER #3  
IMG_2531.JPG

Antique fire starter. Cast iron pot held coal oil. Rod has pumice stone to transfer oil to firebox and left until fire started. Used to start wood or coal fires. Never used it, just for decor now.

/ DIY FIRE STARTER #4  
Hey guys, I have been making these for decades. Start with cardboard egg cartons. I use them all, up to the flats that come at Costco. I only use the lower half. Pack them with wood shavings. I use wood planer waste, and pack them as tight as your fingers can pack it, then I pour used candle wax. I get old candles from wherever I can, last time it was from church, then I melt it and pour it over the packed egg cartons. When it cools, the cartons break or cut into one egg sized fire starters.

/ DIY FIRE STARTER #5  
Melt some wax, stir in as much sawdust as you can. Press it about 1.25" thick in a pan. When it's half hard cut into 1.25" squares and let harden. Each piece burns for about 20 minutes. I tried this idea with dryer lint but it burns to fast. I like the long burn time of sawdust.

/ DIY FIRE STARTER #8  
Notice how quick the flame goes out? That may look cool with lots of flame bur would take alot of fuel to get a fire going.

I typicaly use motor oil and diesel for large outdoor fires.

/ DIY FIRE STARTER #9  
Im not a fan of burning oil or fuel inside my woodstove. A cleaner approach is white birch bark, pine cones, and cotton balls.

/ DIY FIRE STARTER #10  
Im not a fan of burning oil or fuel inside my woodstove. A cleaner approach is white birch bark, pine cones, and cotton balls.
My stove has enough draft that some wadded up newspaper and some dry pine kindling will get it going in no time. Birch bark will really get it going.

I would imagine most of the methods mentioned upthread were more for starting an outdoor fire in possibly damp conditions.