Dixon ZTR 4421 question

/ Dixon ZTR 4421 question #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
My accountant sold his home last year and no longer needs his yard equipment so he gave everything to me. I picked up everything today and a short list is a Dixon ZTR 4421 mower, DR Brush cutter (this is a fun toy), a wheeled string trimmer (can't recall the brand) as well as a hand held weed eater, lawn sweeper (my daughter loves it as it lets her collect leaves for her leaf pile), a push type fertilizer/lime spreader and various hand tools.

Ok, I am currently searching for information on this mower as my accountant is on vacation and I can't reach him. I took it for a spin but it seems weak on the left side. I looked at the chain and it is either too long or stretched to its limits as it is rubbing and the adjustment is all the way out. The right side is fine by appearance. So if anyone has any experience with this mower please let me know if there are any things I should take notice of. I will see about pulling the chain off tomorrow and inspect the left side.

/ Dixon ZTR 4421 question #2  
I'd be jealous if it didn't happen to such a nice guy. Congratulations!!!!

Eddie

/ Dixon ZTR 4421 question
I'd be jealous if it didn't happen to such a nice guy. Congratulations!!!!

Eddie

Thanks Eddie, my accountant is more then just an accountant he is also a friend and one of the nicest people you will ever meet. I was surprised when he gave everything to me as it was not expected.

I did find manuals for the mower online so hopefully I can get the left side drive figured out.

/ Dixon ZTR 4421 question #4  
Is it the mechanical cone drive model? I believe it is.

If so there will be two torque rods in the front of the transmission, make sure one is not broke or cracked where it slides into the mount.

The chain drives I am familiar with had tensioners with plastic rollers on them, does your's have that?

Is it the mechanical cone drive model? I believe it is.

If so there will be two torque rods in the front of the transmission, make sure one is not broke or cracked where it slides into the mount.

The chain drives I am familiar with had tensioners with plastic rollers on them, does your's have that?

I will look at the front closer when I go back out later today but the drive chains do have tensioners with plastic rollers. The left tensioner is at its maximum and has the chain rubbing itself. The manuals I found from Dixon's website doesn't state the chain size or length. Size is easy enough to figure out but it would be nice to know the proper length. Instead they tell you to take it to your Dixon dealer for anything other then oil changes or air pressure in the tires:rolleyes:

015.jpg

Here is a shot of the back, the right side adjustment has plenty of room. You can't see the left side but it is bottomed out

014.jpg

/ Dixon ZTR 4421 question #6  
Unfortunately I cannot see your pictures, not sure the how's or why's but some pictures I can see fine, and some come up with a big No Advertiser bar on them.

Anyway, I would just pull the chain, count the links and go buy a box at your local tractor supply. My bet is that yours is just stretched.

I am not positive, but I believe if you have chain, you have the mechanical drive, and they can take a bit to get dialed in. I used to be pretty good at it, I kept three of those transmissions to keep my one mower running :)

I was going to count the links on the right side as well as the left and find out if it is stretched or if there are too many links in it.

/ Dixon ZTR 4421 question #8  
I was going to count the links on the right side as well as the left and find out if it is stretched or if there are too many links in it.

The best way to tell if a chain is stretched is to take the safety link out of the chain and hold the chain at one end, and straight out in front of you. If it bends more than 2 or 3 in,, it is probably worn, and a new chain is called for. It is probably a #50 or 60 chain. When and if you get a new chain, hold it out and measure the bend. That will be your reference. The sprockets might also be worn.