Disposable lithium battery

/ Disposable lithium battery #1  

mike peyerl

Tractor
kubota 3130dt & kubota l225
Let me start with I'm not a tree hugger but I'm changing the batteries in my security cameras but and I feel like I should be recycling these batteries

/ Disposable lithium battery #2  
Since China stopped buying stuff, the US has not re-developed internal recycling. I'd say we took a step back in doing domestic recycling in the last ten years. My dump still has the ability to take them, so I do recycle them. At least I drop them off to a place that says they will be recycling them. In my county, the dump has slowly scheduled back, to where it is only a dollar savings to do recycling. It use to be seven dollars, then five dollars, now One. I've seen so many people just say, "screw it," and don't recycle any more. Its horrific to see the waste, but it is understandable, if the incentives are not there any more.

/ Disposable lithium battery #4  
In my county, the dump has slowly scheduled back, to where it is only a dollar savings to do recycling. It use to be seven dollars, then five dollars, now One. I've seen so many people just say, "screw it," and don't recycle any more. Its horrific to see the waste, but it is understandable, if the incentives are not there any more.
The town I live in (like most in my area) uses a "pay per throw" system...they'll only accept trash in specially marked bags that you can either buy at town hall or at the dump. Recycling is free, and there is a container for batteries.
I'm sure some can't be bothered to sort their trash, but seems to me that if you're going to the dump anyway (no trash collection here) it doesn't take a lot of time to sort out the recyclables. I'm not a tree hugger either, but I like to feel that I'm doing my part.

As you noted, who knows what happens to it once it leaves the transfer station.

/ Disposable lithium battery #5  
I always separate cardboard, metals, organics etc before heading to local dump.

that being said, i once witnessed a truck hauling a load of separated cardboard inside the dumps own cardboard container being dumped alongside regular household waste. After taking all the time to separate and flatten boxes, they got dumped in same pile.

makes it kind of hard to keep separating crap.

/ Disposable lithium battery #6  
Let me start with I'm not a tree hugger but I'm changing the batteries in my security cameras but and I feel like I should be recycling these batteries
Best Buy also takes them.

/ Disposable lithium battery #7  
Best Buy also takes them.
Best buy probably cleans them, restickers them and puts them back on the shelf.

just saying……im not a fan of them since they never honored some brand new factory defects i purchased from them that failed after i got them home. Made me deal with manufacturer instead. Not cool.

/ Disposable lithium battery #8  
Best buy probably cleans them, restickers them and puts them back on the shelf.

just saying……im not a fan of them since they never honored some brand new factory defects i purchased from them that failed after i got them home. Made me deal with manufacturer instead. Not cool.

I quit shopping at Best Buy years ago. Several visits spending considerable time comparing various brands / models of an item on display, make a choice, only to be told they do not stock the item.

/ Disposable lithium battery #9  
Recycling used to be free here, now we pay. Almost all of the recyclables near me end up in the landfill, nobody is buying dirty cardboard/paper/tin/glass. Since it's just the two of us and we run the dishwasher every night our recyclables are clean, but that's not what I see at the recycling center. I've been told by the recycling company that a single greasy pizza box is enough to spoil the entire 20 yard cardboard container.

/ Disposable lithium battery #10  
I've been told by the recycling company that a single greasy pizza box is enough to spoil the entire 20 yard cardboard container.
I'd venture a guess they were exaggerating a bit, but from what I understand the same thing applies to plastic. I was also once told that not all type 1 plastic is the same...the material used to make soda bottles, peanut butter jars, etc. and what's used to make those plastic containers strawberries come in are not interchangeable.
I have to wonder how the towns that offer no-sort recycling deal with that.