Discing with the RX7320

/ Discing with the RX7320 #1  

MickeyDBC

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti RX7320PC & NX4510HST
Spent some time discing about 12 acres on Saturday with the 7320. This is beatup old cattle pasture that has not been turned in a long time. Lots and lots of huge fire ant mounds, bumps and lumps, and other irregularities. The ground is hard and I am only getting about 3 - 4 inches down even with the wings folded up on the first pass. Ended up doing a 50% overlap and got pretty good results and the tractor was happy pulling in 3rd gear middle range at 2400rpm. Even with the tires filled, I had to leave it in 4wd most of the time or I would lose traction in the sweeps, using the diff lock made it harder to keep it on path. Everything went well until the O ring at the top of the spool valve stack let go - looks like someone put the wrong one in when the valve was added and it was pinched. A quick trip to NAPA got the right one but by then it was getting dark and I was low on hydraulic fluid, so called it a day. Very impressed with how the tractor pulled, temperature gauge never got out of between the lines. Going to pickup a 10' cultipacker this week and will probably switch back to my 10' Oliver disc and pull the packer behind it to aid in leveling the field.

discing.jpeg

/ Discing with the RX7320 #2  
Wow . Is that a resent pic . I still have 3ft of snow and -15C . At lease on more month till I see dirt .

Try a plow or a chisel plow, works good on that hard ground . I was pulling a 11 shank chisel plow with the duck feet last year with my 7320 .

/ Discing with the RX7320
Wow . Is that a resent pic . I still have 3ft of snow and -15C . At lease on more month till I see dirt .

Try a plow or a chisel plow, works good on that hard ground . I was pulling a 11 shank chisel plow with the duck feet last year with my 7320 .

That is a last Saturday recent picture. It has been warm and dry here but we are supposed to get a bunch of rain over the next couple of days.

Not trying to do a deep break on the soil, just deep enough to level it out more. Going to plant a regenerative cover crop mix on it including soybeans, sunflowers, millet clover, turnips, and several others to try to get better moisture absorption. Next winter we are going to start planting pecan trees to establish an orchard (the retirement plan - I am getting too old now to chase cows in 20 years) in this field. I figure the covercrop mix will get the soil back into shape over the next few years and should provide some excellent bird hunting during the fall. I heard that one of my neighbors used to plant about 10 acres of sunflowers every year and you had to shoot the doves out of self defense there were so many of them.