Disc for JD 750

/ Disc for JD 750 #1  

Cooper Estates

Tractor
John Deere 750
Hello, I just stumbled onto this site looking for some information. I've got a 20HP JD 750 with 4 wheel drive. I have been looking for a disc harrow for it and may have found something that works.

But some of the other posts don't really spell out the weight or power limitations using this equipment. What I found is an old Towner 6' offset disc harrow which a guy near me is selling. It is hooked up to an old Ford 9N that he is starting to restore.

My question.. how do you qualify this type of equipment? I don't know the weight of the disc, but it does have some type of model number on the plate- 18H5825

Anyway, it is a really good deal, but if my tractor can't tow it then it is just a hunk of metal to me. Thanks for being here to answer dumb newbie questions!

Attachments

• IMG_1840.jpg
    IMG_1840.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 49
   / Disc for JD 750 #2  
Too big. It's sized for the 9N (and later N's) that weigh a half ton more, to oversimplify a little. That weight is what's needed for drawbar pull. You'll just spin your tires.

Also I don't know if you could lift it. Anybody know?

/ Disc for JD 750
Ok that's what I thought by the looks of that thing. The smaller and newer discs seem so much lighter that I don't know if they'd do what I wanted anyway. I am wanting to turn over the acre field in front of my house in time for a fall planting of wildflowers and soil amendments.

I do have access to a ancient rototiller that was hooked up to an even smaller Kubota that my neighbor has rusting in their field. Once I get that hooked up, I am sure more questions will arise. Thanks California for your help, I am also an hour north of the GG Bridge in Forestville.

/ Disc for JD 750 #4  
I have the 1400mm wide Yanmar tiller that was sold in Japan along with YM2000, my YM240's Japanese twin. These are about the size of your Deere 750. I use this tiller behind my YM186D (18 engine hp, 15 pto hp) and the little guy is working its heart out but runs it ok.

If your neighbor's tiller is a similar size then I would put some work into that. It will do a great job of breaking virgin ground, much better than that disc.

Mow the area and let everything decompose for a couple of weeks first. I have a problem of tall un-mowed weeds getting wrapped up in the tiller if I omit that prep.

Last edited:
   / Disc for JD 750 #5  
... ancient rototiller that was hooked up to an even smaller Kubota that my neighbor has rusting in their field.
One caution. The first year or so that Kubotas were imported here, their PTO was non-standard shaft size plus it rotated backward. Verify this ancient tiller isn't that style!

/ Disc for JD 750 #6  
Hello, I just stumbled onto this site looking for some information. I've got a 20HP JD 750 with 4 wheel drive. I have been looking for a disc harrow for it and may have found something that works.

But some of the other posts don't really spell out the weight or power limitations using this equipment. What I found is an old Towner 6' offset disc harrow which a guy near me is selling. It is hooked up to an old Ford 9N that he is starting to restore.

My question.. how do you qualify this type of equipment? I don't know the weight of the disc, but it does have some type of model number on the plate- 18H5825

Anyway, it is a really good deal, but if my tractor can't tow it then it is just a hunk of metal to me. Thanks for being here to answer dumb newbie questions!
Way to big. A 4 ft would more suitable. Ken Sweet

/ Disc for JD 750
I have the 1400mm wide Yanmar tiller that was sold in Japan along with YM2000, my YM240's Japanese twin. These are about the size of your Deere 750. I use this tiller behind my YM186D (18 engine hp, 15 pto hp) and the little guy is working its heart out but runs it ok.

If your neighbor's tiller is a similar size then I would put some work into that. It will do a great job of breaking virgin ground, much better than that disc.

Mow the area and let everything decompose for a couple of weeks first. I have a problem of tall un-mowed weeds getting wrapped up in the tiller if I omit that prep.
Thank you.. this time of year we have very little in terms of weeds. As soon as we get a little rain, they will shoot up again. But that tiller is definitely worth getting going. I let them use my tractor while they had a tough to solve overheating problem so its nice to be able to share tools.

/ Disc for JD 750 #9  
Can My Tractor Pull XXX Tandem Disk Harrow??

Tractor factors in descending importance:

1. Tractor weight ((traction))

2: 2-WD or 4-WD tractor power transfer to ground ((traction))

3. Tractor tires in relation to vegetation and soil ((traction))
tire tread
rear tires inflated with air or filled with liquid

4. Tractor horsepower

Objectives for Disk Harrow use:

Smoothing a field previously plowed with a moldboard plow or a disc plow.
This is the traditional use for Disk Harrows, since horse and mule motive power.
Penetration less important than smoothing and disk width.
Less draft force resistance than other Disk Harrow applications. (( easier to pull ))
This function is SECONDARY TILLAGE.

Maintenance tillage of previously "broken" ground.
Gardens, fire breaks, fence margins, annually planted game food plots, reducing ruts and hillocks in established fields.
This function is SECONDARY TILLAGE.

Tilling virgin/unbroken/unplowed ground and hooved animal grazed pasture.
This function is PRIMARY TILLAGE.
A Tandem Disk Harrow is not very good at PRIMARY TILLAGE.

A specialized ((one trick pony)) "Offset Disk" is designed for PRIMARY TILLAGE.
(( An Offset Disc is NOT a harrow.))

Implement Issues:

Total Disk Harrow weight bearing on each pan.
(( Related to pan diameter, pan thickness and pan spacing.))
Adjustment of gang angles, aggressive for penetration, relatively 'flat' for smoothing.
(( Ease of adjustment varies from Disk Harrow model to model a great deal. ))
Pan structure, scalloped for compact category tractor use, smooth/round for utility category tractor use.

Field Conditions:

The first pass over a field with a tractor/ tandem disc harrow combination has the lowest draft force resistance. Disk pans may or may not penetrate but first pass has the lowest draft force resistance.

Successive passes over the softened ground allow the pans to penetrate deeper and tractor tires sink in, increasing draft force resistance during second, third and successive passes.

Dry soil is much harder for pans to penetrate.
If too dry, pans will simply roll over hard soil surface.
Verdure on the field usually wraps around pans and axles, decreasing penetration.
Wet soil may bog tractor/ tandem disc harrow combination.

MORE: Disc Harrow Selection For 18-45 Horsepower Tractors (Revision 2b)

www.tractorbynet.com

ADJUSTING Three Point Hitch Mounted TANDEM DISC HARROWS

If you are considering the acquisition of a Disc Harrow, first read this LINK covering Disc Harrow selection: LINK: Disc Harrow Selection For 18-45 Horsepower Tractors (Revision 2b) The Three Point Hitch mounted Tandem Disc Harrow is a secondary tillage implement. The Disc Harrow is a...
www.tractorbynet.com
www.tractorbynet.com