Direct TV...dish, received, and eye compatibility.

/ Direct TV...dish, received, and eye compatibility. #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Any one have any good resources for the various different dish styles, receivers, and eyes....and what's compatible with what?

I got some spare parts, and don't know if I can make something work for the shop.

Last time I called them....maybe last year, to inquire about tv at the shop, they wanted to install a new dish, and treat it as a new account. IE....like a $70/month bill.

Tv at the shop isn't worth $70/month to me. But I can "add" TVs to my account for something like $7 or $8 each per month. THAT would be worth it.

So Friday I had a tech out cause I been having issues at the house. I inquired with him about tv at the shop. He said " just get an old school round dish, as they are easy to line up as you only have to hit one satellite, then call up direct tv and tell them you want another HD receiver for your camper"

Well, after looking online...I don't know if it's that easy. I called direct tv to get another receiver and told them it was for a camper. They insist on sending a tech out to set it up. So I said to hold off as I can use my HD receiver from the house.....and if I can get it to work, then I'll proceed with getting them to send me one.

I also have an old dish. Its not round though. It's oval, but taller than wide. (Opposite of their new slim-line dishes). I also have two eyes. One is a single coax SWiM with a single large eye. And not really made to mount to the dish....although I could improvise. The other eye is a two-coax "dual-lnb". It fits the dish...but loosley. And my HD receiver only has 1 coax input.

I believe the tall-oval dish is what they call a "phase 1". I am not sure it's compatible with the eyes, or my HD receiver. I tried every combination of what I have and all I get is communication errors.

I had no luck trying to call the guy back that was out Friday, and no luck finding any independent contractors in the area that would answer.

Anyone e got any good online resources for this stuff that I may be overlooking? It's all foreign to me and all the different stuff that they have had over the last several years.

/ Direct TV...dish, received, and eye compatibility. #2  
How far is your shop from your house?

/ Direct TV...dish, received, and eye compatibility.
Too far.

Bout 400-500'. They said anything over 200' is too far. And I really dont want a line run in this area because of some future plans

/ Direct TV...dish, received, and eye compatibility. #5  
I use SolidSignal.com for my stuff...they might be able to help. In my previous residence I used them to upgrade my dish to lessen frequent "rain-fade" and found them to be very good. Have since switched to DishNetwork so I don't know how things work now.

/ Direct TV...dish, received, and eye compatibility. #6  
Why don't you put up an antenna and watch regular FREE Tv ?

/ Direct TV...dish, received, and eye compatibility. #7  
Just tell them you want another receiver in another room in the house. They will wire it up to the same dish,and then you can move the new receiver out to the shop and buy another dish off Ebay .When I had Dish Tv,I had 2 recievers-one upstairs,one downstairs.

/ Direct TV...dish, received, and eye compatibility. #8  
I'd just buy the dish off ebay or maybe put a wanted to buy add on CL. People switch between the two companies all the time to get better rates. I bet a lot of people have the old dish laying around.

/ Direct TV...dish, received, and eye compatibility.
Why don't you put up an antenna and watch regular FREE Tv ?

There is nothing to watch on free tv anymore. I don't watch much TV, but when I do....it's mostly history and science channels. And this time of year....I enjoy college football.

The direct tv we have at the house, I cannot even recall when the last time was i was on a local channel. Maybe every once in awhile when bad storms are rolling through, or the occasional OSU game that on ABC instead of ESPN OR BTN. Free tv does nothing for me. Just don't like the programming.

Just tell them you want another receiver in another room in the house. They will wire it up to the same dish,and then you can move the new receiver out to the shop and buy another dish off Ebay .When I had Dish Tv,I had 2 recievers-one upstairs,one downstairs.

I should have updated this thread....but this is precisley what I did. Ordered a new slim-line dish, swm3 lnb, pi-21 power inserter, plus all mounting hardware for about $70 delivered.

Weird thing is....direct tv won't just send me a receiver. They insist on A tech coming out to set it up. I explained there is nothing to set up (telling them it's for mobile use). They said that's fine, just let the tech know and he'll just drop it off.

Sounds like a waste of a techs time to have home drive 30 miles out here just to drop it off. But if they insist.....go for it.

/ Direct TV...dish, received, and eye compatibility. #10  
I've been watching the H & I network on free TV quite a bit. Lots of old shows I enjoy. Also, public television has some good stuff and that's free, too. We dropped sat TV a little over a year ago and never missed it.