Direc Way decision.those that us it, help me here.

/ Direc Way decision.those that us it, help me here. #1  

PBMAX

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC21D
The wife and I are gettting very discusted with our local dailup service... It was connecting several nights this week at 7.4kbs (NO I"M NOT JOKING /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif )
It happens here and there and no matter how long you try redailing it goes to a max 12.6kbs when it gets like this. which seem to be happening more often of late.

The average speed is 24kbs to 30.2kbs. hovers around 28k

I know from talking with the tech that did the install, we are at the end of the service in our area. WE are even on what was the last pair of a 12 pair cable....the line is easliy 15+ yr old and very noisy. You can really hear it some times when dailing the net...

Was it worth the initial cost??? $99 a month or $600 up front? to no longer have to deal with dail up and all its slooooooooooooooooooow frustrations....
I know it will have its quarks I have DTV but we've only had dail up 4-5 months and it' s been slow and a pain from day one...

We are considering the direcway and then killing the land line which we only use for the net. Simply geting tired of calling the phone co once amonth to have them sweep the line. Killiing the land line and ISP(same co) would also cover 2/3 of the monthly cost of the direcway bill each month.So that helps...leave $20 diff...no biggy there...

YOU folks that have the direcway system are you really enjoying it??? I know I could not do real time gaming on it. Which has always been my one main reason for not doing it.
But if we did due direct way we could both be online at the same time easily and have smooth surfing....any time... Which we were both fusing over this winter when there was nothing on the tv or to cold /wet to go outside..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Funny thing is the wife is just now seeing it because I have stayed after the phone co to keep it up.... this time a let it go for a bit and she is now frustrated to... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif WE SHARE AND SHARE A LIKE AROUND HERE........ /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So we both decided to look innto it and HERE I AM at my FAVORITE RESOURCE .....

/ Direc Way decision.those that us it, help me here. #2  
Just for kicks... have you looked into ISDN?

I know here in TN, we sort of have an advantage as (my understanding) the phone company is REQUIRED to make it available to ANYONE that wants it, no matter what the challange. (or some semblence of that decree)

It also happens to be the cheapest available in the US (so I'm told)

I have it, because DSL is not available my way and Directway was not available when we moved out.

That said, if it is available to you, and the cost not too bad, it will give you 1 or 2 (depending on setup) phone lines that are shared on 1 twisted pair. You can then have 64 or 128K access, depending on if you have one or both "B" channels.

With the advent of DSL, I was told by Bellsouth here, that they no longer mention ISDN to anyone, as they really prefer DSL. I told her, I'd prefer DSL too, if she'd like to hurry up it's availability to my remote location /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

If/when DSL DOES come out my way, the phone installer dude informed me, there will only be 25 houses that will get it as that is the most our nearby "box" can handle.

I DO intend on being one of those 25 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Absent that, I'm quite content with the overall competence of ISDN and have decided I'll probably not spring for the extra expense of Directway. I think the ISDN is about $50 (maybe $40) per month. You think I'd know as I pay the bill /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Direc Way decision.those that us it, help me here.
Forgot to mention I can only get SAT or dial up...
No cable or ISND OR DSL /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thats what happens when you live out with the deer and the cows..... I guess.

The local phone co told me it would be 1-1/2 to 3 yrs before dsl is available at this time at our location.
There is a CHARTER cable line 1/8 mile down the road or so I've seen them working on it. But they refuse to even consider me and my neighbors because we can get cable over SAT and so they are not required to feed it our way becuase of this. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

But yes I would love a cable DSL hook up they are great if set up right and properly maintained...My pardner acrros town gets 2.5mbts per second since the last up grade in his area.... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Direc Way decision.those that us it, help me here. #4  
Bad News Potential ... I know that with DirecTV you are required to have a land line for your sattelite dish. They do account validation (and probably peeping) through the land line hooked up to the dish reciever.

You may just also need the land line for the DirecTWay service as well.

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Direc Way decision.those that us it, help me here. #5  
A phone line is needed for the initial authorization of the modems if you use the old modems (Direway 4000). The new modem (Direcway 6000) uses satellite commisioning and no phone line is required. The Direcway 4000 only uses the phone line once to establish your account (5 minutes).

My Direcway is great. Of course, it's all I can get other than dial-up. I have three computers hooked to mine.

/ Direc Way decision.those that us it, help me here. #6  
Do you know if DAP is correct regarding the requirement of a phone line for DirecTV? I know all of my boxes are plugged in. If I could dump the landline I would.

/ Direc Way decision.those that us it, help me here. #7  
<font color="blue"> They do account validation (and probably peeping) through the land line hooked up to the dish reciever.</font>
It's also how they download what PPV items you purchased. Such purchases are recorded on the card which serves as a staging area until the nightly connection to DirecTV at which time they update the TV schedule as well. Perhaps they can do this via a broadband connection these days.

/ Direc Way decision.those that us it, help me here. #8  
Mike, when I realized that's what DTV was doing, I IMMEDIATELY unplugged the R jack.

The next time I tried to order a movie via the phone, I was informed that all orders over the phone had a $5 fee.

MAN DID THAT PEEEEISSSSSS ME OFF. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Direc Way decision.those that us it, help me here. #9  
I have the original DirecWay 4000 system in place. I have used it for a little over 2 years with no complaints. We currently have 4 computers running off of it and we love it.

My only peeve is the normal snow build up that knocks my service down till I can get it cleaned off. Because the dish is on the roof sometimes that is no small task in the dead of winter. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I found out about an inexpensive cover that prevents this situation and I will be adding it shortly.

Compared to dial-up you would really like the new DirectWay 6000 system.

/ Direc Way decision.those that us it, help me here. #10  
I'm not sure about DirecTV, but my Dish Network requires a phone line. The phone line is used once or twice per month around two am. The receiver calls in and tells that what PayPerViews we watched for billing.