Digging stumps SA425

/ Digging stumps SA425 #1  

Scott440

Tractor
Yanmar SA 425
I took delivery of my Sa425 in late December. Other than snow removal probably won't be using much until this Spring. Have not used the B65 backhoe yet but was wondering when I remove stumps at what size would you give up and have an excavator dig them? Where would you stop? Just guessing that about anything over 12" becomes to big of hole, lots of time, and wear and tear on backhoe? At what size would you draw the line and have it ground or removed by a big machine?

/ Digging stumps SA425 #2  
I've taken many stumps out with a full size backhoe. You can't just rip them out of the ground. You need to dig a trench all the way around it, severing all of the lateral roots before you can even think about ripping it up. If you try it, your bucket curl is your friend. Use it to break the roots.

Attachments

• 0005.jpg
    0005.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 66
  • 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 64
   / Digging stumps SA425 #3  
Scott440,

Stumping depends on many factors: Type of ground ( clay, rocky, or sand ), Type of tree ( some root shallow and some go deep, some use side roots or tap root or side and tap roots ), machine horsepower and machine weight, and how much time you are willing to invest per stump.

For example. I cut a 20 inch, at base, hickory where I want to expand my driveway. Dug around stump trying to break roots with M59 and 12" bucket with 7600 lbs bucket curl force. I broke a few side roots and then gave up after 2 hours of digging. Just recently purchased a root ripper to go back and attack that stump. Looks like this.

Most any tree up to 5 inches in diameter, I can pull out of the ground by grabbing trunk with backhoe thumb and pulling up with some back and forth motion.

My gut says 24 horsepower, with associated machine weight and curl power, isn't going to allow you to stump anything larger than 6 inch in diameter.

Have fun learning your machines limits.

Attachments

• 1675287855482.png
    1675287855482.png
    151.8 KB · Views: 61
   / Digging stumps SA425 #4  
Even if the stump is big I would just dig around
it until I have all the roots broken then try to
remove it if the tractor don't work try your pickup
have remove many a stump with my 3/4 ton Dodge
my chain will attest to that as the links are stretched
and small hole in middle of the links. Ass end of my