Digging footing holes - Advice needed

/ Digging footing holes - Advice needed #1  

RichNJKubota

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4310HST
Hi All,
I need to dig (6) 18" diameter footing holes 3ft deep for a solar hot water collector array. The deepest holes I've dug are by hand and that's 2ft deep because my arm is only two feet long. Soil is not too hard to dig in with no large rocks.
My options seem to be:
1. The local rental place rents a Dingo w/post hole digger for < $300/day
2. Hire it out. Have not called anyone yet.
3. Buy a 3 pt post hole digger at TSC for about $700. I'll use it in the future for fencing. But that's at least 2 yrs off.
4. Dig by hand. But how do I dig 3 ft deep? Do one of those "clam shell" two handle post hole diggers work well enough?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Rich

/ Digging footing holes - Advice needed #2  
I would not rent if it costs $300.00, you can buy an used auger for your tractor for that. I would use it as excuse to buy an auger if it was me. You can dig it with the manual (clam shell) post hole digger pretty well as long it is soft soil with no rocks, but it will wear you out (very tough on the back).

If I was doing it I would shell out some cash and buy an auger for the tractor, since it looks like you will be using it in the future. Just my 2 cents.

/ Digging footing holes - Advice needed #3  
Rich, buy a good solid set of post hole diggers and get after it. You need them anyway.

Start with your shovel and then run the diggers to work the sides and bottom of your hole 'till you get loose soil; shovel out the loose soil. When it gets too deep to shovel out, you'll use the diggers to work the rest.

The first beer afterwards tastes great.

/ Digging footing holes - Advice needed #4  
My wife and I dug footings to expand the whole rear of our house in Morris Twp, NJ. This was back when we were younguns. Got pictures of her in her bikini doing so. She had to do most of the digging cuz I managed to schedule some business trips during the digging. We had some long-handled digging bars we used to get rocks out. Think about 50-60% of the soil there was rock.

My neighbor had a huge, pretty close to 18", auger on his 4310 JD when he was putting in a bunch of Leyland Cypress on his property. Don't know where he got the auger. This is here in Va.

Ralph

/ Digging footing holes - Advice needed #5  
Rich

Just wondering why they have to be 18" Diameter holes? Not sure what the rock situation is in your area. Here in New Hampshire it is really difficult to dig footings. I have a one-man power auger and a 10" auger. It is really next to impossible to dig any hole further than a foot down. There are just too many rocks.

If you do not have rocky soil I am sure a power auger would do the job. Although I am pretty sure the larges auger available is 12".

When I set our deck footings I used a backhoe to dig the holes and then back filled against the sonotubes. These have been in the ground for over 20years with no problems.

Buying a posthole digger would be a good tool to have around for this project and future projects! Get the wife to buy into it!!

Wayne

/ Digging footing holes - Advice needed #6  
I'll go against the grain on this one and suggest paying the money for the rental. If the yard is close enough you may be able to swing a half day rental. You could buy a post hole digger but, I don't think that $700 dollar price tag includes an 18" auger and if it does you would still need to buy a smaller one in a few years for the fencing. As for digging the holes buy hand well, you have to look at how much your time is worth. Look at it like this, you could dig 6 holes in 3 hrs or less and move on to another project or you could take the entire day to dig those 6 holes and be so tired the next that you do nothing. 2 days lost for 6 holes. One thing is for sure this weekend does not look like it is going to be good for any outdoor projects ;)

/ Digging footing holes - Advice needed #7  
1. 6 by hand in good soil isn't too hard, and good exercise.
2. A TSC PHD does not have an 18" auger option. I researched this when I had to dig 22 20" holes for my pole barn.
3. You can buy an 18" auger, and you can buy them with special tips for rocks, but it is several hundred $$$, and if you have rocks, won't work on a TSC PHD because their's doesn't have down pressure.
4. Do like I did, go and rent the auger on a skid loader. You'll have fun doing it.

Attachments

• Image014.jpg
    Image014.jpg
    626.2 KB · Views: 505
   / Digging footing holes - Advice needed #8  
buckeyefarmer said:
1. 6 by hand in good soil isn't too hard, and good exercise.
2. A TSC PHD does not have an 18" auger option. I researched this when I had to dig 22 20" holes for my pole barn.
3. You can buy an 18" auger, and you can buy them with special tips for rocks, but it is several hundred $$$, and if you have rocks, won't work on a TSC PHD because their's doesn't have down pressure.
4. Do like I did, go and rent the auger on a skid loader. You'll have fun doing it.

You just wanted to run the skidsteer. I see that auger in your shed.:eek:

/ Digging footing holes - Advice needed #9  
BTDT said:
You just wanted to run the skidsteer. I see that auger in your shed.:eek:

BUSTED, lol

You're right, that is my TSC PHD with a 12" auger on my 20HP massey tractor. I don't have down pressure, although I did pick up a new TSC catalog yesterday and the PHD they now sell does have option for down pressure. I didn't want to enlarge 12" holes to 20" by hand. And that skidsteer was really fun.

/ Digging footing holes - Advice needed #10  
I would go by hand. We have a fence on one side every strong wind knocks part of it down - idiot PO used too small of a post to build it - and over the time I replaced it almost completely.

It is a good way to start the day if you wake up early - just dig a hole, take a shower, have breakfast and go to work. It does not take that much time and energy, IMHO. I use post hole digger and a steel bar to loosen up the rocks and dirt.