Digging drainage ditch through the woods

/ Digging drainage ditch through the woods #1  

eubie5

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota bx2380
I need to have a ditch dug on the side of my property for drainage, and unfortunately, it needs to go through a wooded area. I was thinking a renting the small excavators they rent at home depot. The couple of contractors I've had look at it have all said, due to the roots, those small units would have a very tough time getting through. I'm talking a ditch at least a couple feet deep, and about 400 ft long, about 250 of that through the woods. I'm getting estimates of $800-1000 for them to come in with larger equipment and do it.
Most of the trees are small, 3-5 inches in diameter. But some are quite a bit larger, so I'm sure the root problem is not being exaggerated.

My entire property is on a slope, and this ditch is to catch and carry away the rain water. Right now, nature has formed kinda a small ditch, but it ends about halfway down the side of my property, and the water then runs all over my backyard, creating several huge ruts in the yard and just keeping that area wet at all times. The ditch would run the length of the property and would exit at the rear of the property, over a hill, and down to a creek.
What do the experts think?

/ Digging drainage ditch through the woods #2  
If I could get it do e for that price I'd gladly pay.

I have no experience with an excavator, so there would be a fairly steep learning curve for me.

Then there's my time and effort to go rent it, bring it back, do the job, and then return it.

I'd write a check for a pro. Unless it's something you've always wanted to learn of course.

/ Digging drainage ditch through the woods #3  
I need to have a ditch dug on the side of my property for drainage, and unfortunately, it needs to go through a wooded area. I was thinking a renting the small excavators they rent at home depot. The couple of contractors I've had look at it have all said, due to the roots, those small units would have a very tough time getting through. I'm talking a ditch at least a couple feet deep, and about 400 ft long, about 250 of that through the woods. I'm getting estimates of $800-1000 for them to come in with larger equipment and do it.
Most of the trees are small, 3-5 inches in diameter. But some are quite a bit larger, so I'm sure the root problem is not being exaggerated.

My entire property is on a slope, and this ditch is to catch and carry away the rain water. Right now, nature has formed kinda a small ditch, but it ends about halfway down the side of my property, and the water then runs all over my backyard, creating several huge ruts in the yard and just keeping that area wet at all times. The ditch would run the length of the property and would exit at the rear of the property, over a hill, and down to a creek.
What do the experts think?

The experts that came to the site gave you good advice.......

/ Digging drainage ditch through the woods #4  
How big is the HD excavator? One of those pocket sized ones would be close to useless. A 35 series John Deere would do a good job.

/ Digging drainage ditch through the woods #5  
Hire one and have him dig it 3' deep so it will last a few years.

/ Digging drainage ditch through the woods #6  
Aside from the size and capabilities of the machine, what is the daily rental rate? Delivery? How many hours or days would you need it? How many hours or days would it take you to learn to use it effectively?

/ Digging drainage ditch through the woods #7  
The equipment rented at Home Depot near me will not easily dig through wooded areas. Price from experts sounds good as there is learning curve on running equipment

/ Digging drainage ditch through the woods
The equipment rented at Home Depot near me will not easily dig through wooded areas. Price from experts sounds good as there is learning curve on running equipment
Yeah, i agree. The machines they rent near me are about 150/day, so a few days rental, I'm already at 300-450.

/ Digging drainage ditch through the woods #9  
Call your local NRCS FSA and get the GOV's blessing before you do anything.. Altering water can be costly without proper permits.

Yes even things like this!!

/ Digging drainage ditch through the woods #10  
Call your local NRCS FSA and get the GOV's blessing before you do anything.

Your flag? Stars and bars plus?? Looks out of alignment for france? Yugoslavia?