Comparison Difference between 950-970 besides years and engine?

/ Difference between 950-970 besides years and engine? #1  

charosenz

Silver Member
Tractor
2007 JD4520, also (sold) 2008 JD 3203 with 300cx loader
Is there any difference between the 950 and the 970 besides the 970 is newer and has a slightly larger engine? (I am trying to decide which one to buy - used)

I have looked at Tractor data dot com, but I was hoping to hear more from guys who really know the models....

Thank you.

/ Difference between 950-970 besides years and engine? #2  
Lots of difference here between the two models. I sold a 950, and have a 970, both 4wd. 970 has a 4 cyl. diesel and runs much smoother than the 950, easier to start the 970 by far. 970 ( at least mine ) has a synchromesh transmission, don't have to stop to change gears like the 950. Seating on the 970 seams much more comfortable than the 950, easier to get into and out of. I also had a Yanmar YM 3000, very close to the 950, both off the same production line, YM 3000 very close to the 2 wd. 950., some parts interchange. The hydraulic pump on the 950 is on the front and bottom of the engine much like the gray market Yanmar YM 3000 and use the same pump as the Yanmar. 970 uses a different pump on the left side of the engine, looks like it might be 2 pumps in one body. Both of these tractors are made in Japan by Yanmar. 950 ( at least mine ) didn't have power steering, my 970 does, makes a huge difference when running all day. Also, in the 970 series, sound dampening panels were in place on both sides of the engine and this made for a much quieter tractor to run as the operator. As a guy who rebuilt a 950, I know some of the parts were becoming hard to come by 3-4 years ago, and this will get worse as time goes by. The 970, at least for now, seams fairly well supported for parts. If I was looking at both a 950 and a 970 with equal hours, and in equal condition, I'd value the 970 at least worth $2500-3000 more than what the 950 is worth. ( bare tractor ) My 970 came with a 80 quick detach loader and a #8 backhoe making it a 970TLB. ( Tractor-loader-backhoe ) I sold my freshly rebuilt 950 ( bare tractor ) for $6500 and bought the 970 ( with the loader and backhoe, lift arms, and drawbar ) for $12,000. After using the 970 for the last 3 years, I'm very happy with the deal. I'd recommend the 970 over the 950, even if they want $3000 more for it, good investment. The more hours you are going to spend using one of these tractors, the more worthwhile the extra investment becomes. Lots of 950's and 970's out there, quite a few of both made. Hold out for the 970.
Chris

Last edited:
   / Difference between 950-970 besides years and engine?
Lots of difference here between the two models. I sold a 950, and have a 970, both 4wd. 970 has a 4 cyl. diesel and runs much smoother than the 950, easier to start the 970 by far. 970 ( at least mine ) has a synchromesh transmission, don't have to stop to change gears like the 950. Seating on the 970 seams much more comfortable than the 950, easier to get into and out of. I also had a Yanmar YM 3000, very close to the 950, both off the same production line, YM 3000 very close to the 2 wd. 950., some parts interchange. The hydraulic pump on the 950 is on the front and bottom of the engine much like the gray market Yanmar YM 3000 and use the same pump as the Yanmar. 970 uses a different pump on the left side of the engine, looks like it might be 2 pumps in one body. Both of these tractors are made in Japan by Yanmar. 950 ( at least mine ) didn't have power steering, my 970 does, makes a huge difference when running all day. Also, in the 970 series, sound dampening panels were in place on both sides of the engine and this made for a much quieter tractor to run as the operator. As a guy who rebuilt a 950, I know some of the parts were becoming hard to come by 3-4 years ago, and this will get worse as time goes by. The 970, at least for now, seams fairly well supported for parts. If I was looking at both a 950 and a 970 with equal hours, and in equal condition, I'd value the 970 at least worth $2500-3000 more than what the 950 is worth. ( bare tractor ) My 970 came with a 80 quick detach loader and a #8 backhoe making it a 970TLB. ( Tractor-loader-backhoe ) I sold my freshly rebuilt 950 ( bare tractor ) for $6500 and bought the 970 ( with the loader and backhoe, lift arms, and drawbar ) for $12,000. After using the 970 for the last 3 years, I'm very happy with the deal. I'd recommend the 970 over the 950, even if they want $3000 more for it, good investment. The more hours you are going to spend using one of these tractors, the more worthwhile the extra investment becomes. Lots of 950's and 970's out there, quite a few of both made. Hold out for the 970.
Chris

Chris,

I really appreciate all the info you shared. I am heading out Sunday to look at a 1050 (950 with turbo) and that really helps me realize that I better pass on this 1050 unless it is in super shape. The 970 I am interested in is at a JD dealership in NB.....which makes it tough to consider because I live in Wash state - none-the-less I am thinking harder on that 970 now...

But 970 are really hard to fine.... Fastline and Tractorhouse both only have 3 MFWD in the whole USA.

Again, Thanks.

Charlie

/ Difference between 950-970 besides years and engine? #4  
I'd pass as well. Biggest issue here seams to be replacement parts. Sure, some you can get, but some critical parts are hard to come by. Example: Drive gears in the front axle. Couldn't get them nation wide from Deere. Ended up that Fredricks had a set for a Yanmar that fit, and they had just 1 set left, couldn't get more. It would only take 1 item like that to render your tractor junk if you couldn't find replacements at a tractor salvage yard. I'd call that a high risk investment. One in good shape with low hours, who knows. But sooner than later you are going to end up looking at that issue with either a 950 or 1050. Knowing what I do now, I'd be looking for a generation or two newer tractor just to keep longer parts support with it keeping it usable. It's likely that the seller of this tractor knows this issue as well if they have had to work on it. Low hour 1050 in perfect shape ( bare tractor ) my best offer would be $6500, and the offer would go down for anything less.
I'd still pass due to the known parts issue.
Chris

/ Difference between 950-970 besides years and engine?
I'd pass as well. Biggest issue here seams to be replacement parts. Sure, some you can get, but some critical parts are hard to come by. Example: Drive gears in the front axle. Couldn't get them nation wide from Deere. Ended up that Fredricks had a set for a Yanmar that fit, and they had just 1 set left, couldn't get more. It would only take 1 item like that to render your tractor junk if you couldn't find replacements at a tractor salvage yard. I'd call that a high risk investment. One in good shape with low hours, who knows. But sooner than later you are going to end up looking at that issue with either a 950 or 1050. Knowing what I do now, I'd be looking for a generation or two newer tractor just to keep longer parts support with it keeping it usable. It's likely that the seller of this tractor knows this issue as well if they have had to work on it. Low hour 1050 in perfect shape ( bare tractor ) my best offer would be $6500, and the offer would go down for anything less.
I'd still pass due to the known parts issue.
Chris

Good to know..... I am surprised with as many 950/1050 that JD made that the parts would be hard to get so your info is really helpful.

Thank you very much.

/ Difference between 950-970 besides years and engine? #6  
It's important to note here that not all of the parts were hard to come by. The ones that were hard to come by were gear clusters for the transmission and drive gears for the front axle. Parts that were hard to come by were critical parts to keep these models running.
Chris

/ Difference between 950-970 besides years and engine? #7  
Good to know..... I am surprised with as many 950/1050 that JD made that the parts would be hard to get so your info is really helpful.

Thank you very much.

The 970s are made by Yanmar....Pricey green paint;)