Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #1  

Oldpath05

Tractor
none
So I read this term for the first time>>>>>MFWD, with no explanation, so off to youtube and google I go for the past 2 hr. I do find some ole threads from 6 plus years ago by a bunch of ghost and still no easy to understand consensus that I can see. Time for another go around just in case I'm not the only one that's not sure what MFWD is, do I have a 4WD or a MFWD, yes and yes is my answer. Here's one posters explanation that makes as much sense as that term does >>>>post 9 "Kinda goes along with when does a nail become a spike? Webster's says a spike is a "heavy nail"<<<< https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...risons/89000-difference-between-4wd-mfwd.html

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #2  
So I read this term for the first time>>>>>MFWD, with no explanation, so off to youtube and google I go for the past 2 hr. I do find some ole threads from 6 plus years ago by a bunch of ghost and still no easy to understand consensus that I can see. Time for another go around just in case I'm not the only one that's not sure what MFWD is, do I have a 4WD or a MFWD, yes and yes is my answer. Here's one posters explanation that makes as much sense as that term does >>>>post 9 "Kinda goes along with when does a nail become a spike? Webster's says a spike is a "heavy nail"<<<< https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...risons/89000-difference-between-4wd-mfwd.html

most of us have MFWD tractors, AKA
Mechanical
Front
Wheel
Drive
Tractors.
AWD or All wheel drive refers more to larger, articulating equipment such as skidders and payloaders.

I really don't care what it's called, I buy to serve a purpose and to paraphrase the words of the Bard, "A Kubota by any other name is still a Kubota."

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #3  
Conventional wisdom has it that 4 wheel drive tractors have all wheels the same size and MFD or MFWD tractors have smaller tires on the front axle than the rear axle. But over the years the lines have become very blurred and in many contexts all 3 labels are functionally interchangeable.

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #4  
It's like 4WD vs AWD; i.e., an old International Scout which had 4WD meant that it had power to both axles. If it had "AWD", that meant it had locking differentials so that you really did have all 4 wheels pulling.

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #5  
The way it was explained to me is that four wheel drive 4WD is used when all 4 wheels are the same size and mechanical front wheel drive MFWD is used when the front wheels are a different diameter than the rear wheels.

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #6  
With every post that I read, (including my first) I wonder why we didn't just stick with the OP's definition;
"Kinda goes along with when does a nail become a spike? Webster's says a spike is a "heavy nail"<<<<

PS; I would define the difference between said nail and spike as when you set down your framing hammer and pick up your 2 pounder.

:laughing: :D

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #7  
In cars and trucks, 4wd is part time, awd is all the time. Either can have locking mechanisim of some sort on one or more diffs, or none at all. Some modern 4wd trucks have automatic mode, which makes it not that different from some forms of awd.

Another older definition is that 4wd does not have a center diff, awd does. That was true until some car awd systems come out with viscous couplers or computer controlled clutches instead of center diffs.

(the awd's center diff is needed because in a turn the front wheels take a longer path than the rears. That's why a typical 4wd system slightly overdrives the front wheels vs the rear and why they should not be operated on high traction surfaces).

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #8  
The way it was explained to me is that four wheel drive 4WD is used when all 4 wheels are the same size and mechanical front wheel drive MFWD is used when the front wheels are a different diameter than the rear wheels.
When it comes to tractors, the above is the right answer...

SR

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #9  
When it comes to tractors, the above is the right answer...

SR

Unfortunately that line has become very much blurred. I often see dealers and even manufacturers using 4WD instead of MFWD. Checking tractor listings requires a double search because the same tractor may be listed either way.

/ Difference between 4WD and MFWD tractors, updated #10  
PS; I would define the difference between said nail and spike as when you set down your framing hammer and pick up your 2 pounder.

:laughing: :D

I had a hammer once, but I couldn't find the trigger on it. Threw it away and got one with a trigger :D:D:D

Sorry for the hijack.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

1978 45' DRY VAN TRAILER (A33544)
1978 45' DRY VAN...
HONDA GENERATOR (A32908)
HONDA GENERATOR...
Great Bend 900 Hi-master Front-end Loader (A33041)
Great Bend 900...
NEW HOLLAND 327 MANURE SPREADER (A32908)
NEW HOLLAND 327...
Pallet of (12) Come-a-Longs & (1) Chain Hoist (A33349)
Pallet of (12)...
6 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
6 Yard steel end...