Dieseling in VERY cold weather

/ Dieseling in VERY cold weather #11  
Glad the rig fired right up for you. I had issues with the original battery not having enough juice to crank it over in the winter on really cold days (single digits F). Went to a large 700CCA battery and no issues since. Something to consider, as my stock battery was only 400 CCA. But that may be different on the L3301 and L3901. I seem to be the only person that had issues with starting in the cold.
No, you are not.

/ Dieseling in VERY cold weather #12  
has got me wondering... can one add a battery with too much cca's

The L series battery tray is really big. Haven't needed to measure it or research it but guessing a 1,000cca battery (which is easy to find in western Canada) should fit.

If it fits does it matter that battery cca capacity is almost double what came from factory?
As a personal rule of thumb, I've always fitted the largest battery that will fit in a battery tray on any of the over 10 Kubota's I've owned when replacing a starting battery. Your alternator don't know the difference but you will if you need that extra 'ooomph'.

/ Dieseling in VERY cold weather #13  
One needs to realize that there are 3 different kinds of Optima batteries; Red Top, Blue Top, and Yellow Top. You can go to the Optima website to find out the details of each but a Red Top is essentially a standard starting battery. There is nothing special about it in that sense. The Yellow Top is notably more expensive than it's Red Top cousin and is suitable for both starting and deep cycling, such as running a winch. I ran one of these on my Jeep Wrangler for many years which had a 9000# winch. The Blue Top is for marine applications and they make two of those, a light gray case and a dark gray case. One is for starting application while the other is for starting and deep cycling (think trolling motors in that case).

There was a point in time when Optimna ruled the roost for offroading battery solutions. Then....they moved their processing to Mexico and the 4 wheelin' community started experiencing failures, batteries that lasted a year or two and died. I had one of the earlier ones and never saw that problem but lots of my friends did. Shortly after that, I sold my Jeep and haven't followed the Optima issue so I've no idea if it still exists or not.

Last edited:
   / Dieseling in VERY cold weather #14  
One needs to realize that there are 3 different kinds of Optima batteries; Red Top, Blue Top, and Yellow Top. You can go to the Optima website to find out the details of each but a Red Top is essentially a standard starting battery. There is nothing special about it in that sense. The Yellow Top is notably more expensive than it's Red Top cousin and is suitable for both starting and deep cycling, such as running a winch. I ran one of these on my Jeep Wrangler for many years which had a 9000# winch. The Blue Top is for marine applications and they make two of those, a light gray case and a dark gray case. One is for starting application while the other is for starting and deep cycling (think trolling motors in that case).

There was a point in time when Optimna ruled the roost for offroading battery solutions. Then....they moved their processing to Mexico and the 4 wheelin' community started experiencing failures, batteries that lasted a year or two and died. I had one of the earlier ones and never saw that problem but lots of my friends did. Shortly after that, I sold my Jeep and haven't followed the Optima issue so I've no idea if it still exists or not.
They still exist and Johnson Controls in Waterville, Ohio still produces some at their plant there (I think the Blue Topped Ones).

Me, I stick with either Interstate or Delphi flooded cell jars.

/ Dieseling in VERY cold weather #15  
Our local parts store dropped the Optima lineup. Too many failures is what they told me when asked why.

Any modern common rail tractor should have better starting and cleanup than the old garbage mechanical tractors.

The electronics don’t have the limitations in calibrating timing to compensate for low temperature ignition delay, and pilot injection capability allows very low injection rate to help from sucking heat from the combustion chamber when cranking.