Oil & Fuel diesel rated antifreeze

/ diesel rated antifreeze #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
Members: I usually go w/Prestone green coolant. in Kubota M series tractor...Some recommend coolants that are specifically diesel rated. Your take? Is Prestone rated so? thanks bb

/ diesel rated antifreeze #2  
I'm no expert, but as far as I know antifreeze is antifreeze. When you think about it, its job is to cool the engine and prevent freezing in cold weather. I know in trucks there is no diesel rating, so I don't think tractors would be any different.

/ diesel rated antifreeze #3  
It's my take that regular Prestone coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water would be fine for your tractor.If you prefer,coolant is available pre-mixed 50/50 with de-ionized water.An excellent way to go for your needs.

/ diesel rated antifreeze #4  
To be sure, use Fleet Charge anti-freeze.
It's specially formulated for "wet sleeved" diesel engines. Fleet Charge SCA Precharged heavy duty anti-freeze which provides optimum protection against freezing, boil over, cavitation erosion, corrosion and scale for all heavy duty cooling system applications.

You can get it at any auto parts store or TSC ... places like that. You might as well flush the system while you're at it, again to be sure your system is as good as it can be.
Here is a thread when I did my tractor: Kama 554 Radiator Maintenance and Mods
Rob-

/ diesel rated antifreeze #5  
I'm no expert, but as far as I know antifreeze is antifreeze. When you think about it, its job is to cool the engine and prevent freezing in cold weather. I know in trucks there is no diesel rating, so I don't think tractors would be any different.

Antifreeze is not just antifreeze and I can assure you that there is a heavy duty coolant used in trucks with diesel engines. If you have ever seen a pitted through liner you would know what I'm talking about. Heavy duty coolants do more than prevent corrosion and freezing, they prevent cylinder cavitation in diesel engines. The post above this one is a good example, Fleet Charge is the type of coolant I am talking about.

/ diesel rated antifreeze #6  
Here is my lay understanding of the "diesel antifreeze" issue.

The BANG at each power stroke (I might pun on this) sends a shock wave outwards.
The metal vibrates and coolant alternately moves away and back towards the vibrating metal.
Local hot spots can develop, eventually resulting in severe engine damage.
The "right additives" can reduce the effect, supposedly extending the useful life of the engine beyond the useful life of most trucks.

I first read about this in the context of Ford's 7.3 engine - but I'll pass on the pun, for now.

/ diesel rated antifreeze #7  
The metal vibrates and coolant alternately moves away and back towards the vibrating metal.
Local hot spots can develop, eventually resulting in severe engine damage.
The "right additives" can reduce the effect, supposedly extending the useful life of the engine beyond the useful life of most trucks.

My understanding is this process actually creates microscopic bubbles that then collapse, this collapsing actually causes tiny pits, and the process, over time, eats through the cylinder sleeve. The additives actually form a sacrificial layer around the sleeve, this layer is constantly pitted but refreshed by the additives in the coolant. Eventually the additives need refreshing.

/ diesel rated antifreeze #8  
You won't go wrong using Fleet Charge, but I think in this case the green Preston 50/50 mix should be fine. The Fleet Charge additives address cavitation (which eat away cylinder sleeves). The Kubota block is a parent bore engine (does not have sleeves) so the Preston would work for your application. My $0.02......

/ diesel rated antifreeze
thanks for this: just talked to a trucker supplier, he said one reason diesel additives are used in coolant is to extend it's use between changes as trucks change less often....I didn't think of it initially. thanks again bb

/ diesel rated antifreeze #10  
You won't go wrong using Fleet Charge, but I think in this case the green Preston 50/50 mix should be fine. The Fleet Charge additives address cavitation (which eat away cylinder sleeves). The Kubota block is a parent bore engine (does not have sleeves) so the Preston would work for your application. My $0.02......

The Powerstroke is a parent bore engine and it still needs the coolant additive, so sleeve or not isn't really a reliable indicator of need.