Diesel Particulate Filter

/ Diesel Particulate Filter #1  

4tillingdirt

Silver Member
Tractor
N/A
What is the usable service life on the DPF? I know they are expensive to replace on a truck.

/ Diesel Particulate Filter #2  
There are many variables on that one. It depends on the tractor and how you use the tractor. The dealer will give you the impression they can be used indefinitely. I traded my truck at about 50,000 miles rather than deal with the expense. I was already on the third turbo. Lemon? I don't know. I bought a Kubota L2501 so I could avoid computers, particulate filters, and anything else they might choose to throw at me. It will do the job nicely for me as I only have ten acres. A larger tractor might be nice but good late model used tractors are scarce around here.

/ Diesel Particulate Filter
If you are using that size tractor for 10 acres I wouldn't need anything bigger than an RK 24 for 3 acres of grass to plug, sow and put out mulch along with scraping a couple of driveways. Let me guess you had a Ram?

/ Diesel Particulate Filter #4  
Each tractor owner will have a different experience with component service but consensus is 3,000 engine hours tractor DPF service life.

The average residential compact tractor operates sixty engine hours per year, according to industry surveys.

3,000 hours DPF Life / 60 hours = 50 years of residential use prior to DPF replacement.

Diesel Particulate Filter supersedes tractor muffler.
At some point in time DPF needs to be replaced.
At some point in time tractors with mufflers need the muffler replaced.

I purchased my Kubota L3560 in January 2013. Now 1,600 engine hours on the clock. No DPF problems at all.

Tire wear and tire replacement will cause as many headaches and more expense than DPF/DOC for most long term compact tractor owners who read and comprehend their Operator's Manual. I am shopping replacement front tires now.

Last edited:
   / Diesel Particulate Filter #6  
I removed mine from my TYM built Cabela's tractor when it had about 20 hours on it. Just something else I don't have to worry about.

/ Diesel Particulate Filter #7  
I removed mine from my TYM built Cabela's tractor when it had about 20 hours on it. Just something else I don't have to worry about.

Good choice.....I think!

/ Diesel Particulate Filter #8  
According to the yanmar engine video, it said like 6000hrs of service life.

/ Diesel Particulate Filter #9  
Can you just removed the DPF? I would have thought with all the computer controls on the engines it would go into some type of limp mode and not run with the dpf being removed.

/ Diesel Particulate Filter #10  
If the DPF has sensor(s) it will detect something is out of range if removed