Diesel Fuel Additives?

/ Diesel Fuel Additives? #1  

32Ford

Tractor
Farmtrac 300DTC
OK, I just acquired my first diesel tractor, a FarmTrac 300DTC with a Mitsubishi motor. This is replacing a Ford 8N. When using the 8N I would use an additive in the fuel to help with using unleaded gas in an engine designed to use leaded fuel. In the winter I would add an additive to prevent fuel line freezing. Are there any additives that people use with diesel fuels?
Thank You In Advance.

/ Diesel Fuel Additives? #2  
Power Service diesel fuel additive in the White Bottle from Walmart is kind of a standby. Keeps fuel from gelling in the winter, raises cetane value (whatever that means) and helps lubricate moving parts in the injector pump. The lubrication property is important now that ULSD is virtually all that's available for fuel.

I use about 3 oz. per 5 gallons. Some here have said that a double or even triple dose won't hurt anything.

Some of the better fuel-line deicers (like Iso-Heat) indicate on their label that they can be used in a diesel. Have yet to try that. Would like to hear from someone who has.
Bob

/ Diesel Fuel Additives? #3  
32Ford:

Welcome to TBN :D! I agree with Bob Young as to use of Power Service (White). I also double dosed my fuel this winter due to gelling without problems. I use Power Service year round. Jay

/ Diesel Fuel Additives? #4  
I sell and use Texas Refinery Corp.'s DZL-PEP in the warmer weather and DZL-PEP Arctic in the winter. The mix ratios are from 1:1,000 to 1:3,000 depending on the level of performance and benefits you are looking for. It only cost from .01 to .03 cents to treat one gallon of fuel. They are also running a special this month, 20% off for the month of June.

/ Diesel Fuel Additives? #5  
After selling Pumps, Injectors and other Diesel parts a while back, I would definitely recommend the use of a Fuel treatment and also one to raise Cetane.

Doc

/ Diesel Fuel Additives? #6  
Another Power Service user here.

/ Diesel Fuel Additives? #7  
I like the white bottle of power service.

However I must point out.. Your N would have run fine on unleaded fuel.

The common misconception was that TEL was added as a valve lube... actually it was a spark knock reducer. ( pre-ignition)

Your old n had a massive 6.5 : 1 compression ratio and low rpm.. so that wasn't a concern... besides.. your N left the factory with hardened valve seat -anyway-... so your addatives while not hurting anything.. weren't needed to use unleaded fuel..

Soundguy

32Ford said:
OK, I just acquired my first diesel tractor, a FarmTrac 300DTC with a Mitsubishi motor. This is replacing a Ford 8N. When using the 8N I would use an additive in the fuel to help with using unleaded gas in an engine designed to use leaded fuel. In the winter I would add an additive to prevent fuel line freezing. Are there any additives that people use with diesel fuels?
Thank You In Advance.

/ Diesel Fuel Additives? #8  
Is Power Service sufficient additive to increase the lubricity of ULSD?

Is there a Lubricity only additive , that can be used along with PS or replace PS ?

Should I worry about icreasing the Lubricity of ULSD, I have seen many discussion in this forum, stating that the Fuel Refineries have already compensated for lubricity at the refinery ?????

Dan

/ Diesel Fuel Additives? #9  
I use the Red off road fuel that is still HS so are these additives for lubricity needed or should I be using somthing else???

/ Diesel Fuel Additives? #10  
Lot of people used to/do put ATF in diesel fuel for lubricity. I did for years in a Mercedes diesel, no problems, who knows if it helped.

Turns it red of course, imitating off road fuel.

Mike