Oil & Fuel diesel freeze?

/ diesel freeze? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I've owned a Ford 1520 for the past 8 years and traded up to a TC35D last summer. I have read about diesel fuel gelling at real cold temperatures, but have not experienced this problem --yet. I do not have a block heater installed, but am wondering if that is something to do since I use the machine for snow removal, and can't risk being down. Does anyone have any experience or know at what actual temperature this becomes a problem?

/ diesel freeze? #2  
Here's a recent thread on the topic <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=oil&Number=93884&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post93884>gelled fuel</A>

I avoid the issue altogether by using PowerService diesel fuel conditioner. It's very cheap insurance and can be found at any auto parts store. It also prevents algae growth and gives your tractor a fresh, clean smell (just kidding). How cold does it get where you live /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ diesel freeze?
Rob,
What is the powerservice conditioner, a diesel additive? Never heard of it, but sounds like it's worth looking into. I now live in West Virginia. It's gotten into the single digits since I've been here, but the winters have been kind of mild. I'm trying to be prepared for the worst. Thanks for the info. Jim

/ diesel freeze? #4  
here is the link to power service, they make some great products <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.powerservice.com/>http://www.powerservice.com/</A>

/ diesel freeze? #5  
Powerservice is jsut a diesel additive.

I got some at Pep Boys; it's in the section of the store where they keep all of the various additives. Their shelves are separated into "gas" and "diesel" additives, so it was relatively easy to find.

I keep my tractor in an unheated garage. I never added anything to the diesel last year (the first year I had it) and never had any problems. I did start adding it this year after reading about it hear, with basically the same thoughts as you - better safe than sorry.

Everytime I fill up the diesel can, I add Powerservice to the diesel can (versus waiting until I pour the diesel into the tractor and then adding it there).

/ diesel freeze? #6  
When I got my first diesel, a 1985 Chevy Suburban, I was told of the gelling problem, decided to do a little experiment. Took a sample of diesel when I filled up, Texaco diesel winter #2, stuck it in the freezer, -2 degrees, checked after 2 days, it was cloudy, but not solid. Poured some out, and it was thicker than normal. Used this as a point of reference for adding kerosene when it got cold, like down in the 20's for several days. This is the only way I know of checking the cloud point of diesel at home. For my present F350 diesel, during the winter I keep the front tank 1/2 diesel, 1/2 kerosene, when it gets cold, i will run on the front tank the last couple of miles on the way home to get mixed fuel in the lines and pump for the night, and run it for the first couple miles in the morning until everything warms up. It seems to work as I have always able to get it started. Power is down slightly with the mix and it rattles a little more. I keep my tractor in the garage so it hasn't been a problem.

/ diesel freeze?
<font color=blue>...Took a sample of diesel when I filled up,... stuck it in the freezer..., checked after 2 days...</font color=blue>

Halsey...

I hope no family member confused it with "secret" ice cream topping... /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

I think somewhere around -27 degrees.. it's a semi-fluid state... however like "STP" consistency...

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ diesel freeze? #8  
I use power service in every tank full when the weather is cold. It's great inexpensive insurance against problems, especially in the fall if there is a sudden cold spell and the blended fuel hasn't reached the station yet.

Randy

/ diesel freeze? #9  
When I purchase my diesel I buy a name brand..Exxon,Mobile etc..also purchase from a station where the highway department..power company etc.. diesel up,for I figure they can't afford to gel up nor freeze up during the cold winter months.

/ diesel freeze? #10  
Never heard of the F-350 "dual tank flip-flop" before -- sheer genius!! BTW Got down to about -10 here last night. No gelling, I hope!