Oil & Fuel Diesel coolant question - revisited-

/ Diesel coolant question - revisited- #11  
I'm glad this has been brought up again as it is about time for me to change my anti freeze. I think I'm more aware of what to use and the bottom line seems to be "USE WHAT THE MANUFACTURER SPECIFIES " /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Diesel coolant question - revisited- #12  
While under warranty, that would seem like good advice. That said, my wifes Marquis got it while it was still under warranty. The sca concentration is checked annually and when/if it ever needs any added I keep some premixed to not disrupt that 50% mix. I'm not very concerned with warranty, I am with doing what's right for the longevity of the vehicle. Regular formula coolant is going to become acidic with age and attack seals, metal, etc... If you've ever seen a really old gallon of antifreeze that's never been used and you see the gel that comes out of it, it might revise your opinion as well. I encourage everyone to do what THEY think is best. Experience is the best teacher and generally isn't too cheap either.

/ Diesel coolant question - revisited- #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the bottom line seems to be "USE WHAT THE MANUFACTURER SPECIFIES " /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

The problem is, there is nothing specified in the New Holland owner's manual (I don't have the service manual, so could not check there)

John Mc

/ Diesel coolant question - revisited- #14  
The easy way to be safe on this one, is to run into your closest new holland dealer, and read the side of one of their coolant bottles, and see what specs it meets... and then buy it.. or if you can find an equivalent or superior product elsewhere cheaper, go for it.

Thoug I can't say for sure.. I imagine all the major tractor companies antifreezes are meeting each others specs. For instance, the NH hyd oil.. 134d stuff.. if you read the bottle it meets JD 303 and the new hygaurd spec.... Likewise, the jd fluid meets the NH spec... etc, etc

Soundguy

Soundguy

/ Diesel coolant question - revisited- #15  
<font color="blue"> (I don't have the service manual, so could not check there) </font>
The Repair Manual specifies a 50/50 mixture of a 'permanent type ethylene-glycol base antifreeze' and 'pure water'.

/ Diesel coolant question - revisited- #16  
Does anyone just use Prestone? It is ethylene-glycol based, that is what my service manual calls for.
Solo

/ Diesel coolant question - revisited- #18  
bird's right sca's are for wet liners the vibration of combustion generates harmonics that causes water to form air bubbles around liner the harmonics bust them and errode the liner. The cummins B series is a fine example of one not needing sca's and vw's. All the sca's do is that film formers around the liners nothing else.