Diesel Conversion for 1975 Cub Cadet 1000

/ Diesel Conversion for 1975 Cub Cadet 1000 #1  

ballencd

Tractor
Kubota L35, Cub Cadet 1000, Cushman 3 wheel Turf Truckster
I have a 1975 Cub Cadet 1000 tractor with a bad engine (Kohler 10 hp cast iron). I also have a D600 Kubota engine which I am considering installing into the Cub. My question is this: The D600 currently has several pumps attatched since it was origionally installed in a Jacobson Turf Mower and I think I should find a clutch housing and clutch (maybe called a PTO output??) for the engine so I can drive the 3 speed transaxle on the tractor. I have had the tractor since the mid 80's and had lots of problems with the factory clutch setup which is my main reason for the conversion at this time vs rebuilding/replacing the Kohler 10hp engine. I have thought about using the D600 hydraulics to power the transaxle but that seems like excess engineering since the tractor has a good 3 speed transaxle already...

I am thinking I will need a clutch housing, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate and very short driveshaft (local manufacture). I have not been able to locate any of this so far and wonder if anyone has any ideas where the needed parts could be found.

Thoughts in general on this project?

Thanks Charlie

/ Diesel Conversion for 1975 Cub Cadet 1000
Hey Bigkrank, Thanks for the reply. I looked on the sites you listed and did not find any info on adding a cluth housing to the D600. Any other ideas? I would consider trying to fabricate a stock cadet clutch setup to the D600 but had lots of trouble with the stock when the Kohler was running and ended up rebuilding the clutch 3-4 times in the 10 years I ran the tractor. I suspect with the extra HP and torque it would not hold up anyway. My Cub has now been sitting for about 15 years and needs some TLC but I would like to get it going again. I will have grass to mow hopefully this year!

Thanks

Charlie

/ Diesel Conversion for 1975 Cub Cadet 1000 #4  
Hi! You can look at Kubota dealer. Probably they can order Bell housing face plate and clutch for your D600 But can be VERY expensive. Good luck ! Oldmech

/ Diesel Conversion for 1975 Cub Cadet 1000 #5  
You don't need a clutch housing. The midwest site I listed has Cub style clutches that we put over 100hp thru with no problems. You can go right to your transaxle with out many mods at all. Be advised the Kubota engine turns the other way so you will need to flip your ring gear carrier. That is why on the cubs that had diesels in stock have the engine in backwards.