Die grinder bit help... 1 1/2" opening from egg shaped 1 3/4" beginning?

/ Die grinder bit help... 1 1/2" opening from egg shaped 1 3/4" beginning? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I purchased an old (probably late 50's early 60's) pull scraper. Parts were discontinued in 1981.

I currently have an issue with the cylinder dump pin/bushing. It wore so badly, that it stripped off the nut and came out. I had it turned true (or almost so) and a larger bronze/alum bushing wear bushing made to fit the system. The issue is, originally, it was screwed directly into a threaded part of the main dump box. Subsequently, over the last X#yrs, someone put a toplock nut on it, but it didn't catch the entire thread, so they welded the nut to the shaft. This is what stripped and broke off.

So, when I replaced the turned part, I saw that the shaft barely penetrated the inner box, and the nut caught about 1/3 of the threads. I closed my eyes, welded the nut to the shaft and the box, hoping that it would hold. And it did... for about 6 pulls.

I didn't feel good about the repair, and I had several reasons why.

First, the hole is oblong. The shaft originally was 1 1/2", but had worn to about 1 1/4" and the hole in which it passed was worn to an egg shaped 1 1/2" x 1 3/4". I knew putting it in, that it wouldn't hold, but I hoped, since it had lasted as long as it had, that it would get me through this project.

So, I had a 'shoulder' turned in the main part to be a true 1 1/2". It should seat into the egg shaped hole... but I now need to change the egg to a circle. I believe I can do this by welding up the long axis to create the size and give added steel to grind flat for the shoulder seat.

Which gets me to my questions...

1st, I have a die grinder, but don't have a bit that I think would work. Will you guys help me choose something to grind the inner 'roundness' to shape the welded part back to a circle? I'm not looking for a daily use bit... I need it for this job... just this job right now, unless the cost difference is reasonable.

2nd, Copper... I know that welding spoons are used to fill holes in that they aren't 'sticky' to weld. I don't really know the extent of this 'non-stickiness' but it did make me think. Could I get a copper pipe with OD of 1 1/2" , put it through the egg, weld up around it, then pull it out? I'm sure it would weld to some degree, but I don't know. Even if it helped retain the major portion of the hole shape and size and allowed me to have to grind less. (This is probably a pipe dream... lol)

IMG_4296.JPG

/ Die grinder bit help... 1 1/2" opening from egg shaped 1 3/4" beginning? #2  
Re: Die grinder bit help... 1 1/2" opening from egg shaped 1 3/4" beginning?

Buy a new hole and weld it into place. :)

Find a shaft collar of the ID you want. Enlarge the hole (torch?) to the collar OD and weld it in place.

shaftcollar.jpg

Bruce

/ Die grinder bit help... 1 1/2" opening from egg shaped 1 3/4" beginning? #3  

Bcp, amen. If the shaft coller is too short get a shaft coupling and cut to length. Eliminates a lot of horsing around and gets a true size hole quickly.

Ron

/ Die grinder bit help... 1 1/2" opening from egg shaped 1 3/4" beginning?

That's a good idea and makes perfect sense. Now... if I can just get the outside plate cut without trashing the inner plate. Do you think a hole saw would work in this case... given there would be no possibility of a pilot hole?

/ Die grinder bit help... 1 1/2" opening from egg shaped 1 3/4" beginning? #5  

Tack a plate on the other side for the pilot drill. Yuo will need a longer 1/4" pilot drill though. If you can get it under a drill press you can make the hole easier than hand holding the drill motor. Welding can cover a multitude of sins.

Ron

/ Die grinder bit help... 1 1/2" opening from egg shaped 1 3/4" beginning? #6  

To use a hole saw, I would drill a block of plywood first. Then clamp it where the hole is to be enlarged. You are now piloting the hole saw by the outside diameter.

Bruce

/ Die grinder bit help... 1 1/2" opening from egg shaped 1 3/4" beginning?

Unfortunately, this is what I have to work with... and now, its 1/2 full of dense clay. It was completely FULL of clay, but my son shoveled out enough to get to the hole inside, so I can put it all back together. So... no on the drill press. heh...

IMG_4334.JPG

/ Die grinder bit help... 1 1/2" opening from egg shaped 1 3/4" beginning? #8  

I'd be inclined to try Bruce's (bcp) suggestions.

Terry

/ Die grinder bit help... 1 1/2" opening from egg shaped 1 3/4" beginning? #9  

Unfortunately, this is what I have to work with... and now, its 1/2 full of dense clay. It was completely FULL of clay, but my son shoveled out enough to get to the hole inside, so I can put it all back together. So... no on the drill press. heh...

View attachment 509718

Have any friends that have a mag drill? Would be an easy job at that point.

If you don't get a piece of plate and drill a 1/4" hole in it, weld that plate to the back side of what you want the "good" hole in. Now get your hole saw arbor out and remove the 1/4" drill bit and install a 1/4" rod in its place.

Now the rod will guide the hole saw through the parts you want a round hole in all the way to your guide plate. Once you hit it stop, cut the tac welds off, weld in your collars and your done.

/ Die grinder bit help... 1 1/2" opening from egg shaped 1 3/4" beginning? #10  

I prefer using a guide on the outside of the hole saw like bcp, hole saws like to grab especially on uneven surfaces. I've bent/ destroyed pilot bits and solid rods before, guiding from the outside is way more stable.

Ultimate would be mag drill and annular cutter though.