Did you guys know this about outlets? I didn't!

/ Did you guys know this about outlets? I didn't! #2  
Had absolutely no idea.... and way back in the day I used to do home remodels fresh out of college.

On a side note, I've listened to a couple of her videos in the past and she's very much like Bob Ross. She's got a great voice and style of talking - I could easily fall asleep listening to her videos. (Meant as a compliment)

/ Did you guys know this about outlets? I didn't! #3  
Dang! (slaps forehead) I've changed hundreds of outlets in the past 4 years, and yes, I've had to stop and go get my wire strippers because I left them on my cart or in my van. Like she said, you may never use the ones on the outlet, but now that I know it's there, I bet I'll use it a few times. (y)

I think I'll quiz my coworkers on Monday. 😁

/ Did you guys know this about outlets? I didn't! #4  
That is interesting and might come in handy at times.
Why are some outlets mounted with ground on top, even though most I see are on the bottom?

/ Did you guys know this about outlets? I didn't! #5  
Not really because not all outlets have the wire strip gauge or stripping feature, It is brand specific and no all outlets have those features....

Found on Easton and Bryant brands, but not on Leviton and Pass & Seymour and GE Brands...

/ Did you guys know this about outlets? I didn't! #6  
Did know that, but in 30+ years as an electrician I never used either.

/ Did you guys know this about outlets? I didn't! #7  
Never knew this. Thanks for posting the video, I enjoyed watching it, but I doubt that I will ever do this. I'm sort of set in my ways and I spent a lot of money on my wire strippers.

/ Did you guys know this about outlets? I didn't! #8  
Why are some outlets mounted with ground on top, even though most I see are on the bottom?
There's a theory that if you mount the ground in the up position it is harder for the cord to fall out when plugged in. Every notice a 3 prong cord leaning down and the top two blades are exposed in a gap?

Also, something like a metal paper clip could fall into that gap and short the two blades together. That can't happen if the ground is on the top.

At least, that's how it was explained to me. When I replace outlets, I put the new one's in the same way they came out.

/ Did you guys know this about outlets? I didn't! #9  

Good question... hopefully someone with more knowledge than will chime in definitively. Every time I have asked (including some actual electricians), I've been told that's actually how they are supposed to be installed. Unfortunately, I've never gotten the background explanation as to the significance of ground on top.

Edit - Thanks MossRoad.... apparently we were typing at the same time.

/ Did you guys know this about outlets? I didn't! #10  
SG2.jpg

st1.jpg

Second one doesn't show up well in this picture, but the left says 'Strip #12 Wire' and the right says 'Strip #14 wire'. No veedeeooo required.