Did you buy your tractor out of need or want?

/ Did you buy your tractor out of need or want? #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
I bought my Farmall because at the time, I was living on the farm and I needed it for mowing/raking/tedding/hauling wagons, etc.

I bought my Cub Cadet because I was getting married and I wanted it before I had to explain and/or fabricate reasons why it was needed /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Did you buy your tractor out of need or want? #2  
Both. I have lots of bushhogging and barn mucking, and a good amount of lawn to mow. Tried doing this stuff with a garden tractor, and this was barely better than using hand tools. CUT was the way to go in size, capability, and price.

/ Did you buy your tractor out of need or want? #3  
Whenever I finally do buy my tractor, it will be because I've always wanted one. But due to a variety of circumstances, I've never been able to make it happen. Now it is one of my priorities once I retire next year. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Did you buy your tractor out of need or want? #4  
I bought my Cub Cadet because I needed something to mow the property.

Everything after that was a NEED item too. I needed to save my back. I needed to get jobs done faster. I needed to get my wife a tractor. I can justify just about anything I buy as a need item.

/ Did you buy your tractor out of need or want? #5  
Need, but I wanted it too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ben

/ Did you buy your tractor out of need or want? #6  
Both.

- I need to do alot of landscaping work on my property
- I want to install a sprinkler system once the landscaping is mostly done
- I need to install a driveway
- I need to mow the lawn, and my lawn tractor was dying
- I need to remove an old delapidated mist house / green house
- I wanted a new hobby as I had gotten tired of my old hobby, which was a Mustang drag car

I got quotes for the driveway and sprinkler system, some misc tractor and attachment rentals, and it all came in at about $12k. My BX23 was slightly more, it alows me to do the work I want, and if I ever sell it, I'll get probably 80% of my money back.

/ Did you buy your tractor out of need or want? #7  
Need. I moved out of a development with a 5/8 acre lot to a country home with 5 acres. 3 of the 5 are pasture that I am renting out but still have to keep up.

Only had a 30" Dixon ZTR at old place. Took me nearly 6 hours to mow the new place with the ZTR not even counting the places that were too rough to touch at all with the Dixon.

Now I can do it ALL in about the same amount of time, or just the part I was doing with the Dixon in just over 3.

Getut

/ Did you buy your tractor out of need or want? #8  
I'll probably have to go along with the majority so far and say both. I could have probably gotten by with something smaller, but I'm going to retire someday and have more needs for it then. Figure I could afford it better now, so I jumped in with both feet.

The longer I have it, the more uses (or excuses) I find for doing things with it. Besides, it sure is a lot easier on the back, a lot less expended sweat, and a LOT more fun to do those tasks from the tractor seat.

Doug

/ Did you buy your tractor out of need or want? #10  
I needed a tractor and I did my best to get just enough that I wouldn't want/need to upgrade anytime soon.

In the end, I could have let the lawn go, the landscaping didn't have to been done, I don't have anything that says that I have to maintain the property in a nice fashion so I guess that you could say that I wanted to do all of that.