Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #11  
In 2009 I compared cost to built a steel shed vs wood frame, both on concrete slab, and found that wood was much cheaper at the time. Steel may win out now or vice versa due to cost of materials. I built a 30 x 30 with 12 x 30 wings on each side. One side I took in a 12 x 12 section for a bathroom and additional storage. After a year or two I found that this was not sufficient so I added an additional 30 x 14 fully enclosed and insulated shed on the back for storing my boat, fuel tank and lawnmowers. The front 30 x 30 holds my truck, one car, my Goldwing motorcycle and a work space for my welding, etc. I am just about out of space again. Both tractors are stored in the lean to sheds that are open on the sides. IMG_0836.JPG This is an old photo of the shop prior to putting on the back shed. Cost to build in 2009 was $30K. It is fully insulated, wired for 220v and 110 receptacles all around the walls plus outside in the wing sheds. Interior is sealed with1/4" plywood. Both garage doors have electric openers. I can get my Kubota B26 inside but not my LS. The walls are 9 foot studs setting on 1 course of cinder blocks so the garage doors are a full 9 feet high. There is also a fully floored attic (center section only where there is 6 feet of head room) for additional storage of small items.

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #12  
I go with what he dealers around here do, leave it outside.
Car dealers do the same thing with their inventory and I don't have a garage either.
So far, I haven't had any functional problems related to stuff being exposed to natural weather.

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #13  
My thoughts are a car port as it is inexpensive and does the job of keeping the sun and elements off the tractor and attachments. Being exposed and open, it may attract less mice than keeping the tractor in a building. I currently have mine in a stick built garage but with all the attachments it takes up a lot of space. Looking at a carport to store my firewood and getting it big enough for the tractor as well.

BTW, if you go with a carport, run power out there. Handy for sure and I keep a battery tender on my tractor all the time.

Down the road, a car port can be enclosed if desired and when money is available. A 20x26x10 unit is less than $2500 installed if you can do the ground preparation yourself.

http://allsteelcarports.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/MI-Region-CARPORT.pdf

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #14  
In 2009 I compared cost to built a steel shed vs wood frame.....

That is very nice building and love how it's laid out with the covered parking areas on both sides! I like the different door sizes too. Looks like you put LOTS of thought into it & ended up with something extremely useful.

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #15  
I started with a 24x30 pole barn to park my truck and use as a work shop. I stored the tractor outside under a tarp but I found that inconvenient and added a 10x20 lean to for the tractor. Anything over 200 sq/ft required a permit and engineering. I wish I knew in advance how ea$y it was to make more flat land and I would have added to the pole barn from the beginning.

P9130174.JPG P6130100.JPG 20171101_140902_resized.jpg

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #16  
Built a 28X32 on concrete slab plus a 12X28 lean-to, so total is 28X40. Happy with the size but I need something else to store other implements I actually keep outside, just a kind of roof.

Each time I roll an implement on a dolley ( they now all are on dolleys ) and hook it to the tractor I smile and congratulate myself !!!

On very rare occasions will the tractor sleep inside, Bota lives under the lean-to with the log trailer. Lean-to is long enough for both. Another good decision !

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage
Thanks guys, I've been thinking more of a lean-to to start.

I have a Mortons dealer 5 mins from the house....met with them and got a quote...Yikes! I'm sure they are great buildings but those are not in my budget.

I appreciate all the photos, its great seeing what others have built.

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #18  
Built a 28X32 on concrete slab plus a 12X28 lean-to, so total is 28X40. Happy with the size but I need something else to store other implements I actually keep outside, just a kind of roof.

Each time I roll an implement on a dolley ( they now all are on dolleys ) and hook it to the tractor I smile and congratulate myself !!!

On very rare occasions will the tractor sleep inside, Bota lives under the lean-to with the log trailer. Lean-to is long enough for both. Another good decision !

Do you build your own Dolly’s or does someone make decent heavy duty ones. I’m thinking for my 500ish pound snow blower and whatnot in the off season.

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #19  
I went temporary/reusable and bought a high cube container.
Site prep is simple (I had to move a chunk of a hill but that's due to my topography), and the container was dropped and I could immediately use it; it's weatherproof, rodent proof, and relatively theftproof.
If I end up building a shop instead, I can probably sell the container for a decent chunk of what I paid for it, and it's big enough (I got a 40') that I can use a third of it for storage (useful when a tree fell on our garage) and my tractor fits in it just fine with a backhoe on it.

/ Did you build or buy your tractor shed/garage #20  
My M6040 sits in a tall & wide single bay carport. I built it myself out of rough sawn lumber. It's not fancy - it keeps the weather & sun off the tractor. It has a steel roof. It was built in 1987 and has needed no repairs, to date. Interesting note - the outside was painted with barn red, lead based paint. Still nice and red after 32 years. It's really hard to beat good old lead based paint.

I also have a four bay carport. The pickup, lawn tractor, ATV and PTO chipper are stored there. The remainder of the implements are stored on individual pallets, out in the orchard. I store the chipper under cover because it has moving parts. All of the other implements have no moving parts.

View attachment 589199

Last edited: