Did my bad deed for the day: Evicted a homeless person!

/ Did my bad deed for the day: Evicted a homeless person! #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
Did another sweep for dead standing trees on my property today and found a very old dead standing something tree. Decided to cut it down and when the top hit the ground, out popped a big fat raccoon! He ran off before I could take off my gloves and take a pic of him, but it was funny as heck watching him scoot down the hill running for his life.

One minute, just laying there chillin' out, the next your falling down, hitting the ground and then running like heck, all the while wondering what in the heck happened to your world!

Yea, I'm going to you-know-where for laughing about this. :laughing:

Pic of the very dead standing tree:

IMG_20150114_124644711Large_zpsb28649ba.jpg

And pic of the little raccoon nest/home. It's in the center of the pic where the leaves are inside the tree; there is a hole just above the knot on the other side, that's where he entered and exited apparently.

IMG_20150114_124711837Large_zps1b235d96.jpg

/ Did my bad deed for the day: Evicted a homeless person! #2  
Well, I am guessing you didn't as much evict him as relocated him to another part of your property.

So, its not as bad as you think!

MoKelly

/ Did my bad deed for the day: Evicted a homeless person! #3  
At least you put up a deer blind for him to live in.

/ Did my bad deed for the day: Evicted a homeless person! #4  
I once cut down the 20' stub of a dead tree because it was next to my driveway. I could see it had some pileated woodpecker cavities up a ways. I felt really bad when four flying squirrels crawled out of the hole.

/ Did my bad deed for the day: Evicted a homeless person! #5  
A few of my big ponderosa pine (85' - 100') are dead on the very top 10-15 feet because a porcupine has ringed the top when the tree was small and for whatever reason it didn't kill the tree. Many years ago lightning hit one of these and started a fire right at the top. It became obvious after several hours of watching that this fire was not going out by itself. I fell the tree and found two woodpecker nests up in the dead section. Fortunately it was late summer and there was no young.

/ Did my bad deed for the day: Evicted a homeless person! #6  
I did not evict the owls that used the old oak tree in the front yard, but Mother Nature did when a tornado went close by and the wind broke down the biggest limb uncovering their nest. No more owls.

Owls in Tree1.jpgOwls in Tree2.jpg1Baby Owl in Tree.jpg

/ Did my bad deed for the day: Evicted a homeless person! #7  
A few of my big ponderosa pine (85' - 100') are dead on the very top 10-15 feet because a porcupine has ringed the top when the tree was small and for whatever reason it didn't youngkill the tree.

Errm...no, it wasn't due to ringing when it was young. Trees grow from the top,not the bottom. Damage done when young will still be at the same height 100 years later.

Harry K

/ Did my bad deed for the day: Evicted a homeless person! #8  
Turnkey4099 - you know, now that I think about it, you are right. Well, for whatever reason, a few of my big P. pines are dead at the very top. I have a bit of porcupine damage on the younger trees - at the top where the bark is tender - it looked like a good excuse.

/ Did my bad deed for the day: Evicted a homeless person! #9  
Who was more surprised, you or the raccoon?

I scooped up an old branch that had been laying on the ground awhile with my front bucket one time and while driving to the burn pile, a possum tried climbing out of the bucket. At first I was amused that it was in there, but when it started to climb out, and towards me, along the loader arms, I stopped and set the bucket down so it could get away.

Eddie

/ Did my bad deed for the day: Evicted a homeless person! #10  
Well, I am guessing you didn't as much evict him as relocated him to another part of your property.

So, its not as bad as you think!

MoKelly

He's probably sleeping in your attic right now.