Did I bust something on the loader hydraulics?

/ Did I bust something on the loader hydraulics? #1  

JCoastie

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT240HE
I was carrying a 16' log in my grapple and I clipped a standing tree on the left side. It wasn't crazy hard, i.e. the tires didn't come off the ground, but the left side of the tractor dove a bit. After it was over the loader was no longer level side to side, the left side was down about an inch and a half to two inches. I guess I was hopeful it'd be a bent SSQA torque tube which seems fairly straight forward to correct, but the SSQA faces are square. I can see nothing bent visibly.
Looking at the loader arms, one is definitely higher than the other. In use, It seems I can lift to max height evenly (as best I can tell) and I can press down so the implement sits flat on the ground, but I can also dig in more on the left side since it is uneven. I really don't know what's wrong. After I shutdown, I always relieve the hydraulic pressure by lowering the 3pt hitch, and the loader arms, I also toggle the loader joystick to release any remaining pressure once completely shut down. We often use the bucket top as a seat, and it's always been solid. This morning I noticed this (shutdown overnight and not started this morning), there is no pressure in the hydraulic system, all 4 rams move when I step on the bucket. Any ideas, and it is related to my uneven issue?

Video of what I am seeing New video by JCoastie

Last edited:
   / Did I bust something on the loader hydraulics? #2  
I was carrying a 16' log in my grapple and I clipped a standing tree on the left side. It wasn't crazy hard, i.e. the tires didn't come off the ground, but the left side of the tractor dove a bit. After it was over the loader was no longer level side to side, the left side was down about an inch and a half to two inches. I guess I was hopeful it'd be a bent SSQA torque tube which seems fairly straight forward to correct, but the SSQA faces are square. I can see nothing bent visibly.
Looking at the loader arms, one is definitely higher than the other. In use, It seems I can lift to max height evenly (as best I can tell) and I can press down so the implement sits flat on the ground, but I can also dig in more on the left side since it is uneven. I really don't know what's wrong. After I shutdown, I always relieve the hydraulic pressure by lowering the 3pt hitch, and the loader arms, I also toggle the loader joystick to release any remaining pressure once completely shut down. We often use the bucket top as a seat, and it's always been solid. This morning I noticed this (shutdown overnight and not started this morning), there is no pressure in the hydraulic system, all 4 rams move when I step on the bucket. Any ideas, and it is related to my uneven issue?

Video of what I am seeing New video by JCoastie
All i see is picture in the shed. I would try taking your loader off and put it back on, see if it came unseated

/ Did I bust something on the loader hydraulics? #3  
I can’t view the video but check all 4 tires for even pressure before you get too carried away.

/ Did I bust something on the loader hydraulics?
Tires are all even pressure. I'm new at the video thing, are you getting a specific error?
you "should" be able to click the picture in the link and the video will play.

/ Did I bust something on the loader hydraulics? #5  
What's happening in the vidio is normal judt cheked mine it does the same thing. Start the tactor lift the loader let it drop a bit and lift again. Observe the loader posts on each side while doing this. See if one side moves. The metal may be tore on one side and hard to see. I had this happen once.

/ Did I bust something on the loader hydraulics? #6  
Rather than a video, can you post pictures? My internet connection is so slow, I don't even try to load videos.
Maybe carpenter's square on the boom arm to torque tube will show if you bent the loader?

/ Did I bust something on the loader hydraulics? #7  
I'm no expert at all but those cylinder rams moving in and out that much look like a real problem to me. But maybe they aren't and they just appear to be the way the bucket linkage kind of covers the view.

gg

Last edited:
   / Did I bust something on the loader hydraulics? #8  
Ditto what Gordon stated about too much play in bucket cylinder pistons. I'll suggest to raise FEL boom then curl/retract bucket several times utilizing tractor hyd system. If play exists then either 1 or both bucket cylinder piston seals has failed or piston has become loose from cylinder rod

/ Did I bust something on the loader hydraulics? #9  
I've had 3 tractors and when the bucket is sitting on the ground with the front edge up a bit they all did exactly the same thing when you stepped on it . There is no resistance because the controls are in neutral and the fluid is able to flow with no resistance.

/ Did I bust something on the loader hydraulics? #10  
Billrog
When FEL spool valve is in neutral position hyd fluid is designed to be trapped. If fluid isn't trapped when spool is in neutral position spool valve & housing in combination need to be replaced