Diagnostic tools for Tier 4 tractors

/ Diagnostic tools for Tier 4 tractors #1  

PeteN

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2020 LS MT357HC
Are there any diagnostic tools to troubleshoot issues on the latest Tier 4 tractors or is that a dealer only capability?

/ Diagnostic tools for Tier 4 tractors #2  
I bet there are aftermarket diagnostic tools available. Problem is, every tractor manufacturer uses their own unique data access ports (unlike OBD) so basically you are 'married' to the dealer. Why I won't own one and never will.

Like Kubota and their 'Diagmaster' diagnostic tool. A dealer cannot own it. It can only be leased from Kubota and less you are an 'authorized dealer' you cannot obtain one.

/ Diagnostic tools for Tier 4 tractors #3  
There is a OBD type connector that some have used on LS tractors to read codes and get a better idea what was wrong. Not sure what thread it was in.

/ Diagnostic tools for Tier 4 tractors #4  
The ELM 327 reader should work, its what I use. I pair it with the Torque Pro app on my phone. Here is the link for the reader I use.

I have the Blue Driver, way more expensive OBD2 reader, but for whatever reason, it wont work with my tractor.

The ELM 327 is not the dealer diagnostic tool. For that, you'll need one of their laptops. But the ELM can read the codes, clear codes, etc.

/ Diagnostic tools for Tier 4 tractors #6  
There is a OBD type connector that some have used on LS tractors to read codes and get a better idea what was wrong. Not sure what thread it was in.

My mt240 has a standard OBD2 connector on it. Funny thing is there are more data pids read with my harbor freight Zurich code reader than my snap-on triton D8!