Diagnose my ford 8n

/ Diagnose my ford 8n #11  
Do NOT tear the engine apart until you have spent time diagnosing the problem.
Pulling the head is no big deal
. It will let you see if there is a gasket or crack problem and the condition of the cylinder bores.

/ Diagnose my ford 8n #12  
Pulling the head is no big deal
. It will let you see if there is a gasket or crack problem and the condition of the cylinder bores.

Pulling the head is no big deal once the hood is off. It is a pain to pull the hood and gas tank since they must come off together and need to come off to be able have a good view of the cylinders. A compression test an is easy diagnostic test to do and will give a very good indication of the condition of the engine. IMHO, I see no need to start dismantling something before doing diagnostics on it to determined it is necessary to do so.

/ Diagnose my ford 8n #13  
Pulling the head is no big deal once the hood is off. It is a pain to pull the hood and gas tank since they must come off together and need to come off to be able have a good view of the cylinders. A compression test an is easy diagnostic test to do and will give a very good indication of the condition of the engine. IMHO, I see no need to start dismantling something before doing diagnostics on it to determined it is necessary to do so.
Okay, do the compression test and then pull the head!

/ Diagnose my ford 8n
Thank you all . I had called around but everyone is too busy to look at a small motor job on an 8n. I really like the idea that it might be a timing issue, so i'm going to try that. And get a compression tester. I will let you know how it goes!

/ Diagnose my ford 8n #15  
Thank you all . I had called around but everyone is too busy to look at a small motor job on an 8n. I really like the idea that it might be a timing issue, so i'm going to try that. And get a compression tester. I will let you know how it goes!
Many auto part stores lend or rent timing lights and compression gauges. Tractor Supply Company sells a basic repair manual you will find helpful in maintaining the tractor. Have you confirmed plug wires are in correct sequence? I keep stressing that because if wires aren't in proper position and sequence on cap and plugs it will make it impossible to move distributor far enough to bring it in time. For those like myself who remain a student, we benefit by knowing a little history. How long you've owned it,did it ever run right since you've owned it and if this came about suddenly. I intended to ask earlier because that information goes a long way in diagnosis but the conversation was side tracked by suggestion of exploratory surgery.

/ Diagnose my ford 8n #16  
I really don't believe it is a timing issue, once these old engines are set they will not (as a rule) change unless someone changes them. I am going stand by what I said earlier, the problem is the tractor needs a tune up.

/ Diagnose my ford 8n #17  
If you want to get it diagnosed, you don't need a tractor shop. You need a shade tree mechanic that works on lawn mowers. They'll be able to fix this tractor. Most towns have a few people that work on lawnmowers. Check facebook marketplace or post there even.
However, if this needs more then a head gasket it's probably going to be more then you're going to want to spend. If the cylinders are worn they will need to pull the motor and take it to a machine shop and etc, etc. It gets expensive even for a small tractor. A cylinder is a cylinder. Regardless of it's size it cost close to the same to fix them.
The smoking isn't usually as big an issue as it looks. I have a to30 that's been smoking bad for years. I just change the plugs and keep oil in it. It works just fine.
The lack of power is probably more related to an ignition timing or carburation issue. Either of those will also cause overheating. Not enough fuel or timing out either way will cause overheating. Also, how big is the bush hog? It will overheat if you push it too hard. You might want to check the fan belt too I've seen plenty of tractor with fan belts loose enough to cause over heating.

Good luck with it.
John