Diagnose my ford 8n

/ Diagnose my ford 8n #1  

CHerlihey

Tractor
Kubota L5030, Ford 8n
Its been like this a few years, can't do much with it, A few years ago it was overheating when bush-hogging, and its been kinda just started and moved here and there while I think of how to fix it over the past couple years. Thought it might be wires, changed them, made it better but still an issue. Can get it into 4th gear if going down slight incline, otherwise its too gutless to get into 4th. Wondering if there are any experts out there that can tell me whether it needs motor work or, say a new water pump, from hearing and seeing a couple things here in the video. Thanks!

/ Diagnose my ford 8n #2  
Welcome to TBN.

A compression test might be useful.

Bruce

/ Diagnose my ford 8n #3  
Welcome to TBN.

A compression test might be useful.
I second the motion and would run a few other tests as well. The amount of blowby and smoke isn't near as sever as I've seen so I don't think rebuilding engine is necessary. It sounds like there's a miss fire so check and double check to be certain plug wires are on correct plugs in correct order. After that pull one plug wire at a time with engine idling slow as it cam maintain. If all except one wire makes engine speed slow,check or replace that wire and plug. Next run compression test as Bruce suggested. If the fault isn't revealed,make sure ignition timing is within specs. Out of timing could account for overheating AND gutless power. That should keep you busy for a while then you can report back on what you find.

/ Diagnose my ford 8n #4  
Timing too retarded, oops, I mean mentally challenged. Side distributor? Very well could be timing. Slow timing means low power, overheat, sluggish running.

/ Diagnose my ford 8n #5  
A compression test would be the place to start, sounds to me like it just needs some TLC such as a good tune up since it has a dead miss. Your engine does have blow-by but I have seen worse on working tractors.

/ Diagnose my ford 8n #6  
Pull the head. Then do the necessary motor rebuild work.

Might be a gasket problem???

/ Diagnose my ford 8n #8  
Wear a glove when you pull a plug wire or you may get your
battery charged??????:(

willy

/ Diagnose my ford 8n #9  
Pull the head. Then do the necessary motor rebuild work.

Might be a gasket problem???
On the other hand it might be something else but if you don't have experience and take it apart you will have plenty by the time you get back together. Rebuild the motor! ROTFL

/ Diagnose my ford 8n #10  
Do NOT tear the engine apart until you have spent time diagnosing the problem.