Diabetes

/ Diabetes #231  
My wife also uses Stevia now because it's natural.
Here's something I find interesting. My family no one has or had diabetes on either side, not even aunts, uncles, cousins.
Wife has had diabetes (diagnosed type 2) for 25 years. Her parents, aunts, uncles, cousins type 2 diabetic. None obese, in fact an aunt anorexic (5'5", 89#). Her father was Cherokee, her mother English/Dutch. All diabetic but all drank DIET SODA. Also odd is my wife was adopted, Italian/Scandinavian descent. Her one uncle (mom's brother) recently passed 103 was only one not diabetic but also didn't drink diet soda.
I really believe since my family they don't drink diet soda either there's some correlation.

FWIW, I try to avoid any sweeteners because the body, diabetic or not, reacts to those sweeteners the same way it reacts to sugar.

/ Diabetes #232  
FWIW, I try to avoid any sweeteners because the body, diabetic or not, reacts to those sweeteners the same way it reacts to sugar.
It is not fully understood why, but this is true. People who consume volumes of artificial sweeteners tend to be over weight. And there A1C's are high.

Last edited:
   / Diabetes
I stopped using all sweeteners except Truvia.
I think if you like things "sweet" one will gravitate to all things sweet...desserts, lattes, prepared foods with lots of sugar added
My understanding is that diet soda is almost as bad as the sugary stuff, fakes out the body's glycemic reaction.
I eat an apple every night for dessert and have read that is not so good any more.
Well....I live between two apple orchards and I'm not giving up my apples.
I have cut down on bananas though. Calorie intensive, as they say.

/ Diabetes #234  
It is not fully understood why, but this is true. People who consume volumes of artificial sweeteners tend to be over weight. And there A1C's are high.
I stopped using all sweeteners except Truvia.
I think if you like things "sweet" one will gravitate to all things sweet...desserts, lattes, prepared foods with lots of sugar added
My understanding is that diet soda is almost as bad as the sugary stuff, fakes out the body's glycemic reaction.
I eat an apple every night for dessert and have read that is not so good any more.
Well....I live between two apple orchards and I'm not giving up my apples.
I have cut down on bananas though. Calorie intensive, as they say.

Somewhere along the way I've read that sweets are mentally addictive and personally believe this is true in my own life. I toy with adding butter to my coffee to give it kick instead of creamers.

Sadly, fruits are nature's candies.

/ Diabetes #235  
Type 2 for 15 yrs here. I stopped all sweets and keep active for my BP BS. Going to start getting a little more serious about dietary management this, my 70th year. My Mother managed type 2 diabetes for 50 years. She's 100 this year.

/ Diabetes #236  
Yeah - darn it. she proved it can be done. Now I have to live another 30 yrs without insulin to prove myself worthy - :p :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for setting the bar Mom.

/ Diabetes #237  
Yeah - darn it. she proved it can be done. Now I have to live another 30 yrs without insulin to prove myself worthy - :p :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for setting the bar Mom.
She had a proper diet on her side. In most of our cases, we had a low-fat high carb diet stacked against us and had to learn low or no-carb, high-fat diets are the way to go.

/ Diabetes #239  
I was diagnosed type 2 and was put on metformin and practically **** my pants the whole 9 yards. Then, I stopped drinking and binging on chips late at night. I was consuming 14,000 calories a week in just alcohol.

I immediately dropped 30 pounds and after a few months, I went to the Dr. and my A1C was normalized to where he took me off the meds.

I don't struggle with the desire for alcohol, I promised my wife I was done, and I meant it. I drank on my birthday in December and that was a mistake.

I do struggle with not eating potato chips. Those things are evil. I do not allow them to come into my house, unless were having a part of some sort. The key is keep it out of your house.

I need to check my sugar again. You can absolutely manage T2 with diet and weight loss most of the time.

/ Diabetes #240  
My wife is type 2 diabetic for over 30 years.
For last 15 yrs she takes 40cc insulin morning & night, not because her diabetes is worse but better than lots of pills.
Then she read about and tried Neems. It's an inexpensive plant based pill. The problem is her glucose level dropped so much twice I had to call 911. Normal is roughly around 100-110. Her level was 54 then 32! Both times she was incoherent, I tried giving her candy, etc...but she was spaced out.
Dr. had her go to 25cc insulin.
She's going to try small amounts of Neems and test blood sugar often, see what happens. She may be off insulin since Neems seems to be working.View attachment 770767

Thanks for the info, I may order the power to put in my smoothies in morning.