Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #81  
The 53' semi trailer can't make it up my driveway. So I was think of unloading on the street and placing the 48' beam on the 18' long trailer (see pic). Of course that means 30' will hang off the trailer but if we strap down the beam to the trailer, I don't see an issue going 10mph up the driveway.

View attachment 801100
Any curves or large changes in grade in the driveway?

I agree with @Doorman63 if you can raise the beam to clear the bed of the truck, it can make navigating turns and changes of incline easier. A friend crush the wall on his truck bed trying to make a corner with a large change of grade and the event stuck with me...

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings
Did the wall pour the other day. 28 yards of concrete. 4,000 psi mix with 3/8". Did 3 lifts.

Garage Pour.jpg

Garage.jpg

Garage 2.jpg

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #83  
Looks good, keep up the good work!

Got the roof on and looking at garage doors.

Gararge2.jpg

Gararge.jpg

18 X 8 Raynor Aspen AP 200c. Double sided steel, polyurethane insulated (R-value of 18) residential garage door. $3,300 per door

18 x 8 1st United Door Technologies 225 insulated (R-Value of 6) garage door. Includes nylon rollers for quiet operation. $2,200 per door

They also want $1,400 more per door ($2,800) for a track system that will follow the pitch of the roof. Seems pricey but they claim it requires specialized springs and tracks.

The better insulated doors would be nice but they are $900 more per door. The pitched track system would be nice as it would not interfere with a car lift, otherwise if a car was on the lift and one opened the garage door, the door could hit the car lift.

Not sure which route to go...

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #85  
Got the roof on and looking at garage doors.

View attachment 811790

View attachment 811791

18 X 8 Raynor Aspen AP 200c. Double sided steel, polyurethane insulated (R-value of 18) residential garage door. $3,300 per door

18 x 8 1st United Door Technologies 225 insulated (R-Value of 6) garage door. Includes nylon rollers for quiet operation. $2,200 per door

They also want $1,400 more per door ($2,800) for a track system that will follow the pitch of the roof. Seems pricey but they claim it requires specialized springs and tracks.

The better insulated doors would be nice but they are $900 more per door. The pitched track system would be nice as it would not interfere with a car lift, otherwise if a car was on the lift and one opened the garage door, the door could hit the car lift.

Not sure which route to go...
“Follow the roof pitch” 2/12 4/12 etc is more expensive. Different springs/drums/horizontal tracks and cables. Trolley operators most likely as well.

Raynor is top of the line in my opinion.

For a bit cheaper options check out Wayne Daltons TS 125 or 150 lines of doors. They are ribbed on the exterior and an excellent r-value.

CHI makes a good door as well…..not sure which line is comparable.

My wife picked out a CHI door for our barn. 10x8 with 16” high lift, fancy carriage house design, insulated glass, etc…….close to 4k with opener.

Not sure I can get those other doors you mentioned since I am located in Arizona. Raynor is the best (R-18) and a solid built door but the price tag is hefty.

Garage is insulated but how much difference does a R-6 vs R-18 garage door make? I don't think it's 3x the efficiency as there are other factors at play.

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #87  
Not sure I can get those other doors you mentioned since I am located in Arizona. Raynor is the best (R-18) and a solid built door but the price tag is hefty.

Garage is insulated but how much difference does a R-6 vs R-18 garage door make? I don't think it's 3x the efficiency as there are other factors at play.
R value of garage doors only comes into play when the door is closed…….a man’s “shop” usually has the door open!

The specs on ours calls out an r-value of about 10. Perimeter weatherseal ,windows, thermal break between inner and outer skins all contribute to insulation value.

My opinion…..it only really matters when I’m in the shop trying to heat/cool the space. In the Midwest we don’t typically cool a shop and mid 50s is plenty warm to work in the winter. The rest of the time I’m not climate controlling it.

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #88  
@Pettrix Looking great!

If it were me, I would pass on the insulation, but go for the slope following door track though they are, I think, understandably more expensive. (A slope following door spring has to hold the door up at all times, in contrast to a normal door, and it has to have different spring strengths for the vertical lift and the angled lift, if that makes sense.)

All the best,

Peter

/ Detach 48x28 Garage - Footings #89  
@Pettrix Looking great!

If it were me, I would pass on the insulation, but go for the slope following door track though they are, I think, understandably more expensive. (A slope following door spring has to hold the door up at all times, in contrast to a normal door, and it has to have different spring strengths for the vertical lift and the angled lift, if that makes sense.)

All the best,

Peter
Well said sir.

I recently converted a job from 2/12 pitch to 6/12 pitch.

All new springs/cables/drums and horizontal tracks (with the 6/12 pre bent at the radius).

The door can still be manually operated when the opener is disconnected…..14’x14’

Okay, so I will go with the lower priced door (R-6) and go with the pitch of the roof tracking system. So for two 18x8 steel insulated doors, tracking system, springs, one reinforcement strut per panel, continuous angle following the 5:12 pitch, install labor, will be $7,900

I'll get the wall mounted controllers later but they said I could open/close the door manually until I get the garage door remotes.

The pricing of materials today is staggering. With inflation and price gouging, it's a tough pill to swallow.