Delta Band Saw

/ Delta Band Saw #11  
My 2hp Bridgeport uses a static converter to run it, and they usually aren't very expensive, but do have to be rated for the right size motor you plan to run.
David from jax

/ Delta Band Saw #12  
I have Wells metal band saw. It was three phase and I purchased a single phase 1/2 hp motor to replace the 3 phase 1/2 hp motor. It was easy to switch over the motor. Just get the correct motor shaft size to match the pulley and or pullies. I set it up and run it on the slowest speed aka the slowest sfm. No coolant. I don't do that much cutting any more. The saw was used and abused before I got it. It had a .88 tall blade but I started using 1.0 tall blades to give it more beam strength. It will cut a 10" X 10 " cube if needed. I use variable pitch blades. See attached details.

20230522_184734_resized.jpg20230522_184758_resized.jpg

/ Delta Band Saw #13  
I suspect, esp for a hobby environment, the VFD may well be overkill - overly complicated.
If the machine was made to select/operate it's own speed system, why duplicate?
In my town, we have a 'get stuff done' district with a motor shop - they can certainly match something up, and marked it down too.

/ Delta Band Saw #14  
There is another way, if you happen to have another 3 phase motor laying around that is the same size or slightly bigger. You wire both motors together and use a rope wrapped around the armature to get the idler 3 phase motor started, and once it is running you can start and stop the saw motor at will.
I told an electrician at a manufacturing facility that I worked at, and he argued that it wouldn't work. He went back to electrical shop and wired up what I told him would work, and while it worked just fine, he said it didn't make sense, that it shouldn't work, but yet it did!
He told me later, that he was running a machine at home like this till he came across enough money to buy a VFD, or the company pulled one out of service that was still good. (VFD's used to be expensive!!)
If you want to wire up an idler motor to run it, let me know and I will walk you thru it.
David from jax

/ Delta Band Saw
I had some time to look at the details on the motor. It's only a 3/4 HP motor at 1725 rpms. I think I am just going to find a replacement motor that will run on 110v. My next question though is would it hurt to increase the HP a bit? Say up to 1 HP or 1.5 HP? Would it be worth it or would I be causing problems?

And yes, I am just a hobbyist that's always wanted his own band saw. I am even more excited its capable of cutting metal.

/ Delta Band Saw #16  
More HP is desirable. It should cause no problems. The belts must be tight or dressing may have to be used.