Delo ELC - installation notes

/ Delo ELC - installation notes #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
I had posted a note about recent regional pricing:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/canada/293598-delo-elc-diesel-coolant-antifreeze.html

After installing it in 2 vehicles, I noted the following and wanted to pass it along.....

Once you have the new coolant installed, and run it for a while to circulate, wait before you test the specific gravity. Let's say at least an hour, to be safe.

When I tested the freezing point right away, the numbers were way off - as in very little protection. I then tested the old AFrz I removed, it read about what I expected (-45C). I next tested my Prestone tester against my buddy's shop tester - both read the same. Back home, when I retested the new anti-freeze in the vehicle, it now read about what I expected - same tester as I started with.

I saw similar behaviour with the second vehicle. This is definitely beyond my pay grade in Chemistry - so I'm only guessing when I say that what may have been going on is it takes a little while before this new ELC "shakes hands" and fully blends with any pre-existing anti-freeze. The two vehicles had similar chemistry old antifreeze, from different manufacturers. I change Afrz on schedule, and with very hard well water, I don't flush with water.

I was adding Delo ELC concentrate to their 50/50 pre-mix to boost the freezing protection. On my 3930, it took about 3 litres of concentrate to get to -45C. If you are just dumping in 50/50 mix and not checking Freeze Point (FP), you'll never notice this.

If you are adding concentrate to adjust FP, you could end up adding way too much if you go by the early specific gravity readings.

Rgds, D.